Home > Trip Reports > April 18, Klahane Ridge

April 18, Klahane Ridge

4/15/10
Posted by chmnyboy on 4/18/10 12:13pm
Met up with local splitboard ripper Les and was skinning from switchbacks lot by 630. We found that anything above 4500' actually got a deep freeze, and after hitting Victor Pass we climbed up toward Mt Angeles and skied a neat little east facing line (see pic 2) in perfect corn. Had to descend extra far to retrieve my gloves I had dropped when pulling out my ice axe. The coefficient of friction between gloves and corn is very low.

After the east facing slopes went rotten we mosied along the ridge toward Rocky Peak, getting cliffed out before getting to the base of the couloir I had in mind. We enjoyed lunch and McNaughton's while we waited for the north facing chutes to corn up, which happened at about noon. Skied a few really nice lines, although most of the steeper stuff was extra challenging due to big ruts from cornices failing. The south facing ski back to the car at 4pm was deep with nasty, rotten snow, and we found that the best skiing (and possibly safest skiing) was to ski cut the steeper slopes, let the wet slide run out, then ski the soft, smooth slide path. New technique to me, but worked well.

Great day to be out, even better to be above the clouds that socked Port Angeles in most the day.
Sounds like a good day Tyler.
Are they done locking the gate at night now?  6:00 sounds early for a gate keeper.  Or do you have special privileges?  8)

That looks like a tight line on Angeles.  I don't recall seeing that one when I was over there last season. 
I do recall skiing what I think may be your Legend of Zelda (?) line if it the one I am thinking of.  Maybe near or a bit east of where you took the shot of Mt. Angeles?  There looked to be some sporty lines along there and Eastward.  Some looked to cliff out but I don't wonder if one or two wouldn't go right now.
Maybe you could show me around before the coverage retreats.

Nice! Looks like a win to me! :)

Always nice to see stuff for the Hurricane area!  :)

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Don't forget your skins and backpack next time you're in Seattle.

Thanks for all the comments. Joe, if I understand correctly, the new policy of the park is that if they don't need to plow the road, they'll leave the gate open; GaryJan might be able to clarify. I called the wilderness info center the day before and they clarified the road would be open all night. The winds have been strange this year, and I'm noticed certain lines filling in differently than in the past, which may explain why you didn't see it last year. That 'zelda' line is the to the left in the picture, partially obscured by the rock. It drops into the very bottom of the Victor Pass Bowl.

Brian: Yeah. I got nothin.

author=chmnyboy link=topic=16410.msg68616#msg68616 date=1271730973]
Joe, if I understand correctly, the new policy of the park is that if they don't need to plow the road, they'll leave the gate open; GaryJan might be able to clarify.

For the month of April, the road is open "As weather, road conditions and staffing permit". Hopefully this will mean continued extended open hours unless it storms. After May 1, the road is scheduled to be open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.  :D

Great report Tyler, you guys had a big day. Too bad about running into a road block at Rocky Peak. Hopefully we can find a "Plan B" to access these goods.

The picture below is another perspective of the line Tyler and Les skied off of Mt Angeles. With the late start we got on Sunday, we elected to take a less sporty line. I took this picture on the way back out of the bowl. We skied back down the south side about 12:30 pm. About two thirds of the descent skied pretty well, the bottom third was heavy and tended to sluff as you reported.

Gary

Reply to this TR

april-18-klahane-ridge
chmnyboy
2010-04-18 19:13:52