Home > Trip Reports > April 1, 2010, Mt Washignton (6,288'), NH

April 1, 2010, Mt Washignton (6,288'), NH

4/1/10
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 4/15/10 1:33pm
Day 37
Mt Washington (6,288)
Vertical skied: 5,200 VF

It had to be April fools day.  After all, there is no good skiing in New England.  It's all tree skiing, ice and so overcast you can't see your nose in front of your face.  Each run is a 100 VF.  The skiing is just the filler between bar fights on the Killington Road.  Anyway, no one skis past February.  Unless you're an April Fool.  In which case...

My brother and Paul left the summit first.  I marvelled at the scene before following.  The other-worldly buildings were covered in brilliant crystal masks of rime, feet thick in spots.  The sound of an employee of the weather station smashing the 6 foot drift in front of the main building entrance was the only sound.  There was hardly any wind.  The snow surface underneath my board was a mixture of ice, rime and warming corn, smooth from the fierce winds and uneven as all hell as it partially buried ankle-twisting skree.  I shoved off toward Wayne and Paul a couple of hundred feet down the slope moving in and out of gullies and ribs.

SWWWWOOOOOOOOOOSH!

I crested the bowl above Wayne and the snow turned to perfect corn.  We tagged each other for 1,2000 VF then opened up the throttle and shot across the col seperating Mt Washington and Mt Clay.  We unclipped and scrambled to the summit.

Below Mt Clay was a beautiful open slope that progressively got steeper until an intimidating 40 degrees.  The snow was absolutely wonderful, a choice 4 inches of delight that cascaded down the slope with you, showering the sides of your turns in audible splendor.  At the valley floor we took a break and then climbed back out.

Once again at our uptrack, we skied another 2,000 VF right to the car in perfect corn.
Way to get it out E.  Looks like you're fighting some thin cover!

Reply to this TR

april-1-2010-mt-washignton-6-288-nh
MW88888888
2010-04-15 20:33:07