Home > Trip Reports > June 7-9, 2004, Snow Lake

June 7-9, 2004, Snow Lake

6/7/04
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by DonnellyM on 6/9/04 3:13pm
Two months after the lifts have shut down and normally I'd be full on into my trail running. Not this year, I figure why not incorporate some skiing with my running. Starting from the main Alpental parking lot it's a quick 29-34 minute jog on a generally smooth with occasional shale rocks trail with easy stream crossings all the way to the ridge. Once on the ridge it's click on the skis and buckle up the pack and off you go. ;) Snow is continuous for 300-400 vertical feet in many spots with no debris. Snow is lightly suncupped but well consolidated. And for those that like to play hard, there's even some jumps to be had. Feeling adventerous, from what I can see across the lake there look like there are plenty of patches from 300 up to 500+ vertical feet of continuous snow. So for all your joggers and trail runners out there, leave the Burke Gilman behind, come up to the mountains and make some turns!! 8)
Donnelly
As a trail runner and skier I'm intrigued. Are you running in your ski boots? How do you carry your skiis/poles? Any more details would be appreciated. Thanks

I carry my skis with my boots in the bindings strapped to my pack.  I carry each pole in one hand but I try not to use them when running, I don't want to be dependent on them.  My shoes are trail running shoes, if I ran in my boots I'd have no soles left.  I might be crazy but not that crazy to run in ski boots. ;)

I don't know, that TR from the backside of alpental had me wondering...

I like the image of trail running in T2s.

I like the image of trail running in T2s.

And if you envision Donnelly, he'll be in his 10lb. apiece alpine boots. Like he said, not that crazy.

Looking forward to getting up there next week!

Reply to this TR

june-7-9-2004-snow-lake
DonnellyM
2004-06-09 22:13:11