Home > Forum > Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?

Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?

• dberdinka
  • [dberdinka]
More
09 Jun 2004 04:31 #169435 by dberdinka
Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond? was created by dberdinka
Hey y'all. Is there still good skiing to be had in the Hart's Pass/Slate Peak area outsdie Mazama or is it melted/suncupped out. I just spent the last 10 weeks gimping around from a broken ankle so I have no clue as to what snow conditions in the mtns are like. Thanks a lot.<br><br>Darin Berdinka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
09 Jun 2004 04:57 #169436 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
I can't speak for that particular location but I can say that right now, the snowpack is settling down from some late-season snowfall, and freezing temps are pretty high. So things are tending to be gloppy and wet for the time being.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
09 Jun 2004 06:27 #169437 by wickstad
Replied by wickstad on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
We found a snow desert considerably south of there but similarly east June 5. The aspect was east with elevation of 6500-7880. At 2.5 miles in we could see the slope and decided to ditch ski gear at that point as a ski tour turned in to a summer hike. The snow that was there would have been ok skiing, deep corn (enough to be a nuisance w/o gaiters) with a firmness underneath.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
09 Jun 2004 07:02 - 09 Jun 2004 07:13 #169438 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
Darin, you're aware that the Hart's Pass rd. has been closed due to a major washout last fall?  Here's the reference: www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/wnproads.html .<br><br>Glad you're recovering.  Still plentiful skiing to be had for them that wants it badly enough.  sb is usually well-informed about Mazama conditions if you're headed that way.<br><br>Enjoy,<br><br>Mark<br>

• dberdinka
  • [dberdinka]
More
11 Jun 2004 03:31 #169440 by dberdinka
Replied by dberdinka on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
Thanks Mark! So is there any skiing to be had around Wash Pass or is it pretty much melted out? Thanks.<br><br>Darin<br>

More
11 Jun 2004 04:01 #169441 by jt
Replied by jt on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
While I haven't been up there this year, rumor is enough snow to ski on at WA Pass. Above treeline is consistently snow with the gullies to the spires mostly melted out. Got this info from cascadeclimbers.com.

More
14 Jun 2004 09:46 #169443 by Bill_G
Replied by Bill_G on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
Yeah, the fires ran right to Hart's Pass last year. I guess the road around Deadhorse point was quite a mess.<br><br>Think there will be any snow in August ;)<br><br>Black Peak should still be good, although I haven't been up there this year.<br><br>Bill G

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
15 Jun 2004 03:51 #169444 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Hart's Pass/Slate Peak cond?
Sorry to hear about your ankle, Darin. Glad you're able to get about again.<br><br>As for snow conditions in the PNW -- think 6000'. Last winter and this spring we have had many storms that dumped snow above about 6000' and rain below. As a result, the usual lower elevation spring skiing haunts are pretty well melted out. The south side of Sauk is bare, the bottom of thte White Salmon Glacier is muck and debris. But, the slopes avove 6000' are still holding good snow.<br><br>On Baker, the Grouse Gullies and the Roman Wall are in prime shape. The top gullies on Shuiksan rock. I'd bet that the gully on the back (north) side of Goat Mountain would be fine. The Shoals Glacier and Coleman Pinnacle area still has some lines. Hadley Peak would be great, but no road this year. Slopes above Cascade Pass still provide turns and smiles. Plus the volcanos, of course.