Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2010, Mt Catherine

April 10, 2010, Mt Catherine

4/10/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by md2020 on 4/12/10 4:52am
Wow, what a great day. I didn't think we'd ever get any decent skiing at our old standby area this year, but the last two weekends have been amazing. Who'd  have thought the best skiing this year around Snoqualmie would happen in April. Often we sit out the month of April and wait for the mush to turn to corn, but not this year. Last Sat Brenda and I had a great day lapping the closed Silver Fir runs,  then Sunday over around Nordic Pass and Radio Tower. Thought we'd have a repeat weekend, but the crust heading up Silver Fir forced us towards the trees and Mt Catherine. Much easier trail breaking this weekend, with the supporting crust and very settled powder. We climbed the north side trees from below Nordic Pass to the ridge. After a longish break, we headed down for first tracks. Met up with Don B and crew coming from a steeper line just below the summit and then few other skiers climbing our route further down. Another long break and another lap before we headed out. Didn't notice a lot of instabiliy except a small sluff running down a steepish gully, and a small foot deep slab I was able to move on a steep test slope.

That  looks great, especially for April!  Catherine is a favorite.  Sounds like it's all tracked out now...  should make for easier lapping

Sorry we missed you, Mike! We too saw Don, Steve and Co. on our first lap, and found some great turns in the trees.

Lovely day up there.  Nice bumping into you two and GregL's group.  Gotta luv April pow on Catherine!

Nice job!  Looks like great snow.  Brenda's turn looks fantastic.

Reply to this TR

april-10-2010-mt-catherine
md2020
2010-04-12 11:52:23