Home > Trip Reports > ONP - Hurricane Ridge Area (w/ pics!!) - 4.11.10

ONP - Hurricane Ridge Area (w/ pics!!) - 4.11.10

4/15/10
WA Olympics
Posted by Stugie on 4/12/10 12:01am
Nice meeting you Gary, Jan, and Jeff!

Snow Bell and I took a lap and met up with the three above for some fun adventuring.  Nice lines, surprisingly good snow AND sun made for a great day!  There was a wide range of some really neat terrain to be skied.  Thanks for some really fun times all!  Pics coming later (when I'm not trying to rush to work...)
author=Stugie link=topic=16346.msg68260#msg68260 date=1271084484]
Nice meeting you Gary, Jan, and Jeff!

Great meeting you too Scott. Yes, it was a fun day, good weather, good snow and best of all, good partners. Hope to ski with you some more in the future.

Joe, nice job breaking trail to the peak, that was some creative skinning.  ;)

Here are a couple pictures, and a link to a few more.  http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100411LostBowl#

Gary and Jan

good to see that all the new snow at Hurricane didn't go to waste. Good job guys!

Well it took me a year to get back up there and ski a line that I had scouted before.  Gary and Stugie joined in and we dropped from the top of the peak to the chute on skiers right.  Gary figured that the line was unnamed so I figure "Finders Keepers" would be apposite as it feeds into Lost Bowl.  Excellent snow and stability had us craving more.  We all made a quick lap from the ridge in equally good snow.

Gary searching down Lost and Found

Jan, Jeff and Gary had to get going so Stugie and I thanked them for their company and climbed back to the nameless peak to tackle the chute skiers left.  It looked pretty darned enticing.

It was steep and deep to be sure.  The chute lead North and we knew that to the East was big cliffs but I was optimistic that we would find a way out.  I think I told Stugie that I was "85% confident that it would go."
I don't recall exactly what I based that on. ::)
Being bold and having survived a few seasons charging with Kyle, Scott was game and followed in after me.

The skiing was wonderful.  Lots and lots of good snow and plenty of pitch.  There was too much sluff to let loose but the technical nature of it was very rewarding.  The thrill intensified as we came closer to the "bottom" as we realized that all of the snow we were sending down the chute was cascading over cliffs.
Yup.  15% of the time your line will cliff out.  Such is life.

So we didn't even consider climbing out.  That would have been very difficult.  We instead found a spot to traverse West and billygoated through tight trees and deep snow.  It was a bit arduous for a bit until our traverse over cliffs ended at a big rock.  Stugie located a spot that he could safely down climb since our options looked to be quite limited.  I don't favor down climbing as I have had little practice so I threaded through the trees, narrow chutes and spines which all seemed to drop off.  It wasn't long before I found a nose that went with a short drop and called back to Scott.  He was happy to hear that I think.
We dropped to the apron and made a few more turns to exercise the anxiety a bit.

As we climbed past the bottom of the chute we did the recon that maybe we should have done in the first place.

but as I told Stugie: "If we had scoped the line, we would not have dropped in."  That would have been a shame because it skied great and was the highlight of the day. ;D
I think that he agreed.  We dubbed this line "Losers Weepers."
Thanks for being game.

Well, I thought I'd get some pics up sooner, but as my PC would have it that was not the case.  Finally...and props to Joe for a great TR and again to Gary, Jan, and Jeff for being so much fun to tour with!  I do have to say that Joe, you worded that perfectly.  You however get the prize for biggest cohones...scouting the nose rollover to drop in extremely cliff studded terrain...nice work man.  ;)

Snow Bell's winning style in "Losers Weepers" Coulior - Lost Bowl - ONP

Gary doing some crop dusting...

Gary, Jan, Jeff and Joe enjoying the snow and sun.

Nice job all. Sure looked to be a nice Olympic day- sun in and out, providing amazing views in all directions when it cleared.

author=Snow Bell link=topic=16346.msg68332#msg68332 date=1271179710]

Jan, Jeff and Gary had to get going so Stugie and I thanked them for their company and climbed back to the nameless peak to tackle the chute skiers left.  It looked pretty darned enticing.

It was hard to part company with you two knowing where you were headed. Nice job figuring your way out of some tricky terrain.
Joe, your TR is a great read.

Gary

Reply to this TR

onp-hurricane-ridge-area-w-pics-4-11-10
Stugie
2010-04-12 07:01:24