Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2010, Yodelin SDD, Dad and Son

April 10, 2010, Yodelin SDD, Dad and Son

4/10/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Don Heath on 4/10/10 4:20pm
http://picasaweb.google.com/Rustyknees/4102010Yodelin#

Paul was suffering from acute SDD - Ski deficit disorder.  The cure was not a pill, liquid, or ointment - it came in powder form.  My son Daniel was itching to try his snowboard in real powder.  Sometimes the best fruit is lowhanging, certainly the case today.  Yodelin was as good as I've ever skied it.  We saw maybe 12 others up there, and there were lots and lots of untracked lines left for any other SDD sufferers.  The trees were virtually untouched as of when we pulled out at 4 ish.  The snow was lighter than Friday's Alpental, with a shiny layer of hoar glistening on the surface, no layers down at least 12", and in the trees even deeper.

Today was Paul (Weaver) and Daniel's first trip to Yodelin, and the trip didn't disappoint any of us.  It was really great to share the area with them for the first time, especially proud of my 14 yr old climbing on snowshoes and carrying his big board up.  He had a few floundering challenges, but once he got up and planing, he ripped!  Paul was fast and strong on the up and quick and smooth on the down. 

Three good laps, lost and found the dog once, met Ski Pole and his friend Barry, great backcountry skiers.  Also saw Dr. Telemark, and his group, and a smattering of others.  Even the ski out was fun, the morning's crust on the road had softened by the late afternoon.  Ahhh...
Nice to meet you Rusty.  You were right, it was some of the best snow I've seen up there too.  A little sun baked around the westerly side of the ridge but the main runs were great.  Our dog got tree-welled TWICE - had to pull him out as he was unable to get traction on the icy sidewalls of the wells.  It was surprising to see the absence of tracks on the main face off the ridge when we got there.  That didn't last long!

The video of the day is at: Yodelin

Mike  (aka Dr. Telemark)

www.drtelemark.com

That is not a smooth looking turn - yeesh.  Thanks Don and Dan for sharing the excellent snow at Yodelin; especially steep and deep in the trees.

Glad you guys got the goods Don!

Couldn't you find a bigger pack for your son, Don?  ;)Well, like father,like son.

Great father/son outing Rusty, defiantly qualifies for another Father of the Year nomination.  ;)

Gary

Reply to this TR

april-10-2010-yodelin-sdd-dad-and-son
Don Heath
2010-04-10 23:20:48