Home > Trip Reports > March 20-27, 2010, Razor Creek, Niut Range, BC

March 20-27, 2010, Razor Creek, Niut Range, BC

3/20/10
Canada BC
Posted by sprice on 4/8/10 2:10pm
Windy and little new snow. But big peaks and some great views. But we forgot to bring a hut with us.......

Pics at the link below
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skioften/sets/72157623769837944/
What's the deal behind the helicopter wreck? There's a story here somewhere...

The blue chopper looks like Mike King's (Whitesaddle Air) Longranger....assuming you flew with his company? 

Please do tell the story behind the huey ending up sideways.  hopefully all okay?

......just read your photo comments....so Mike came in to rescue after the crash... is there another outfit flying out of Tatla Lake or do they just have (had) two helis up there now?

The downed chopper was being used by a heli skiing outfit. They only fly out of this location a few weeks a year. They aren't Mike or associated with White saddle, but were just flying out of his field. The pilot was coming into a preset landing spot fully loaded with 9 skiers. He got slightly ahead of the pack snow where he was supposed to land and blew up a cloud of snow around him, and not being able to see anything got conservative and turned the machine off. So it dropped and rolled. Its totaled. Nobody seriously hurt, except on of the heliskiers got a broken nose when someone else's boot kicked him in the face as they were scrambling out of the bird.
Mike was the first on site and flew everyone out.
Mike flew us up and I'm very impressed. He's a great pilot.
This was all the talk in Tatla Lake when we got back. Nobody could even tell us which way the health care vote went.... :) Oh, right...different country......

ah, thanks for the explanation... glad to hear everyone was relatively unhurt.    Mike flew some friends of mine and me into Waddington in '05, when he'd just upgraded his heli to that Bell Longranger...i think its possible he was having even more fun than us getting to put his new bird through its paces.... definitely a great pilot. 

Reply to this TR

march-20-27-2010-razor-creek-niut-range-bc
sprice
2010-04-08 21:10:34