Home > Trip Reports > June 6, 2004, Tamanos

June 6, 2004, Tamanos

6/6/04
Posted by sag on 6/6/04 5:12am
After a nice long hour and a half of sleep I headed on down to Buzzy's to meet up with the gang. Today the gang consisted of Maddog, RonJ, JW, Joedabaker,Yves,  Jimjar, Amy, Snowslut, and myself. We left the trailhead around 9:am and carried our toys for what I'm guessing was two and a half miles till we found snow that was continuous enough that some of us felt skinning was in order, we were almost correct in our asumptions but not quite.
when we got to the notch around 5800 the snow became quite nice and plentifull. WE climbed to to about 6500 and had lunch before we made fun turns in buttery snow. It was a short run down but great tour , turns and people . I got a few good photos. You can view them at
http://community.webshots.com/album/150128987iEzptx
Sag,

nice report and thanks for sharing the photos.  i'm glad you guys found some decent skiing.

say, can i borrow your split board sometime?  i'd like to give it a try.  you don't mind if i do a little "tree skiing" with it, do you?

-kam

Thanks for reporting Stefan. Although the hike to turns ratio was quite high, it was still a very enjoyable day. My photos @

Great shots, Stefan and Jerry.
Yeah, not my fave in terms of access, but certainly a nice little gem in terms of nice skiing.  Good summary report Stefan.  
Kam, yesterday would have been a good day to mooch a ride on sag's splitter 'cause he left them all home!!  That's right, he's darkside skiing now and after like 3 trips out he's skiing like a champ (like a 40 degree pitch in the Tamanos north cone yesterday!); didn't fall once.  In fact I don't think anyone fell yesterday.
I'll try and get my photos up later today, folks.  Thanks for the good times.

Great pictures. Thank you for letting me tag along.

Oh yeah, there's my man Jim rockin the double-ski-pole boarding technique. ;D

I had tried to jump that little lip at the top and got hit in the back of the head with the polls. Teach me to try and be like CMOIR.

Nice one Jim.  I think your almost there.  Nice shots jw and sag.  Can't wait to see ronj's pics.  Once again thanks for the tour and all the laughs.

If no one else is going to, I'll post the token pic.
Here's a shot of SplitBoarder Stefan (sag) on something like his forth outing on skis:

This guy's a quick study.
More pics at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/_albumlist.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Thanks for letting me join you all as well...I had a great time...despite getting to know a few of the trees intimately on the way back down to the trail...next time I decide to body slide down the hill I'll remember to bring my skis along...

Nice photos ronj.  You managed to capture some of the blue skies.

Anyways gotta love them trees that sometimes jump in front of you. >:(  Well the bright side is the pine made everything smell so fresh and so clean clean. ;D

Thanks for the great day! It was a real treat to go hiking with this group of fine folks. Great Pics JW, Ron and Sag! The initial hike, though a grind, had very beautiful green moss covering the sides of the trails with wonderful streams- the sights were terrific! I apologize to Mad Dog-she will never trust me again. This confirms why everyone always says-be careful when you follow Joe through the trees. Standing and watching at the bottom looked like a pinball game. Sag's skiing is very inspiring-good work! Thanks for making this trip memorable and maybe-if invited-you will drag me around the hill another day.

I apologize to Mad Dog-she will never trust me again.
 It was a great day, and at least you didn't say you'd call in the morning, so I can trust you at least for now on another outing.   ;D  ;D You see the funny thing about that whole "follow me" deal is that I already knew what was coming since I had climbed that same area last August.  We still had fun, and managed to get in some pretty good turns, and I didn't have a wrestling match with the tree like Amy.  Anyway it was a great day with fun folks.  I have also added a few of my photos to the last page of Ron's site here.  Looking forward to the next time.

http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/tamanosmtjune62004.msnw?Page=1

Jeanette - Nice add ons.
Joe - That "on the fly" ski pole pick up should have been in a warren miller film.  And great lead on the downhill bushwhack (and don't worry, MadDog LOVES that stuff, you're automatically invited back).
Amy and Jim - You're quite welcome, it was great having you along, you're definitely "low maintenance" ski partners.  Join us anytime you're willing to settle for our geezerly pace.

Yeah, sag's the Man . . . he may be getting in more AT practice than he's letting on, though, I saw him sneaking up the Paradise road yesterday with skis on his pack!

Pardon my ignorance, but where is Tamanos? I couldn't glean any clues from the TR. Thanks!

Richard - first left after you pass the guard shack on the Sunrise road, MRNP.

Reply to this TR

june-6-2004-tamanos
sag
2004-06-06 12:12:57