telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/19, 07:16 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 27 to April 1, Wallowas-Norway Basin
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 27 to April 1, Wallowas-Norway Basin  (Read 2943 times)
blackdog102395

March 27 to April 1, Wallowas-Norway Basin
« on: 04/03/10, 02:13 PM »

We spent five great days of touring with Wallowa Alpine Huts in Norway Basin.   A full report would be an all evening, 12-pack fueled affair.  The condensed two cup coffee version goes like this:

Day 1: Firm, carvable crust. Fast!

Day 2: Camp Norway becomes Camp Graupel.  Who knew graupel made for such hero turns?  On the other hand, graupel is not so great for laying down a skin track.  Amazingly, the graupel manages to bond with firm surfaces.  Somehow, things get even faster. 

Day 3: Camp Graupel becomes Camp Powder.  The graupel provides a creamy,carvable base for the near blower pow.   Blue Creek and the Enchanted Forest were deep.  Nonstop grins from ear to ear.

Day 4:  More powder off the Big Ridge, Lap Dance and the newly named, Cackling Cliffs.  My face was cracked from smiling.

Day 5: The sun shines.  Two steep powder shots down Steal Your Face and a couple of cornice drops east off the Big Ridge.  Toured back to the car in disbelief as to how lucky we were to catch the fast, soft, powdery conditions.

The Guides did a great job of managing significant avalanche conditions.  The wind on Sunday and Monday were some of the strongest the guides had ever witnessed.  The yurt was shaking both nights; slopes were heavily wind loaded. Even though we were relegated to steep trees and low angle bowls, there were more than a few heart stopping moments and endless powdery lines.  Most days we covered about 5K of vert.

Here's a few pics.  No real action shots as we were too busy lapping up the powder.

http://picasaweb.google.com/118025853069449417238/Wallowas#
Don Heath

Re: March 27 to April 1, Wallowas-Norway Basin
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/10, 09:21 PM »

Hey Jake!  Looks like a great trip, especially the food.  Nice pictures.  Let me know when you want to go up St. Helens, and I'll head south to meet you.

The best part of summer skiing is napping on a warm rock.
blackdog102395

« Reply #2 on: 04/04/10, 08:58 AM »

Don, I'm in on St. Helens.  We are into the restricted permit season, which means we get the pleasure of paying $22 to make the climb.  I'll have to take a look at my wife's schedule and see if I can come up with a weekend over the next month or so.  Once I get it nailed down I'll send you a PM and we can go about getting our permits.
trees4me

« Reply #3 on: 04/05/10, 12:21 PM »

Thanks for leaving us some snow!  We were the group behind you, arriving on 4/1. 

...and really, thanks for the leftover IPA !!  Wink

chill people, skiing is fun
blackdog102395

« Reply #4 on: 04/05/10, 05:29 PM »

Trees, you're welcome.  We barely put a dent in that thing.  With conditions being so good and the group willing to have at it from dawn till dusk, I'm afraid no one wanted to wake up in anything but prime shape.  Did it keep dumping after we left?
trees4me

« Reply #5 on: 04/06/10, 06:33 PM »

yeah it snowed everyday and we had another 12-18"  Grin

We didn't have much of it since we were out doing long days too!  Averaged over 4k a day.  The high winds and lots of new snow kept us from exploring the big boy terrain much, but we had great laps and runs everyday.  We had fresh trailbreaking everyday, and our previous days tracks were filled in by wind and snow each day!

We had hoped for some big line spring touring, but were ECSTATIC to have 4 days of low-angle powder skiing!

chill people, skiing is fun
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.