Home > Trip Reports > 1 April 2010, Mt. Rainier, Paradise Powder

1 April 2010, Mt. Rainier, Paradise Powder

4/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 4/1/10 7:33am
My 1st day as a Social Security recipient, so I got some nice powder turns in today.

Congrats on your new found income! I hope you are retired as well so you can get out and enjoy your big check every month. How was the stability???

Nice work,  was down there also.  Made it to about 8500' on the snowfield in blowing  semi-whiteout.  Gave up on accent due to no visibility. Ripped skins, clicked in and just then weather broke of course.  I got my April fools.  Oh well, another day.  Great snow.

author=mick_scott link=topic=16221.msg67693#msg67693 date=1270168678]
Congrats on your new found income! I hope you are retired as well so you can get out and enjoy your big check every month. How was the stability???

Yup, retired, small check :-(.  Stability was very good where we were on North-West facing slopes.  The ceiling was low when we started out so we didn't go very high, would have kept off the steeper N-E (lee) slopes anyhow.  Yesterday, mild E slopes were really firmly packed powder with a light melt-freeze crust.  Took a while to break trail up yesterday :-)

Andy,

Congratulations on surviving long enough to receive your first Social Security check.  You have joined a "special group".  Welcome !  8)

Zap & Jill

author=Zap link=topic=16221.msg67704#msg67704 date=1270182249]
Andy,

Congratulations on surviving long enough to receive your first Social Security check.  You have joined a "special group".  Welcome !  8)

Zap & Jill

Thanks, but I didn't make it on tele gear--switched to old man's AT gear (Dynafit) last year!

Are you sure the Social Security reference isn't just an April Fool, since it was 4/1/10 for your post? If not, you won't need a big check to enjoy pow/snow like that each and every day of your retirement! Maybe you could consider joining SilasWild's group of "middle age" people. CONGRATS...

When I was 18 all of my friends had figured out that Social Security was a giant Ponzi scheme that would have to collapse before we got to collect on it, so we resolved to only work under the table and spend as much time as possible drinking beer and smoking weed. Now that I've been working aboveboard for many years and I'm close to collecting it myself it looks as if the system may remain solvent long enough, but I still have some uncertainty, as I realize that my eligibility date is the last day of the Mayan calendar. Accordingly. I've decided to hedge my bets by spending as much time as possible skiing powder and kayaking.

What, no more multi-tasking?  ???

author=telemack link=topic=16221.msg67735#msg67735 date=1270239756]
What, no more multi-tasking?   ???

Still tele on light Fischer bc skis with 3-pin bindings and while on XC ski patrol; even have upgraded my Volkl Snowwolfs to Voile switchback bindings for the occasional longer tour on rolling terrain.  But his year, out of roughly 55 days of bc skiing, 50 have been on AT.

Many Happy Powder Re-Turns, acarey. I have just a little over one year to catch up with you. N

author=acarey link=topic=16221.msg67736#msg67736 date=1270242493]
But his year, out of roughly 55 days of bc skiing, 50 have been on AT.

With age comes wisdom.  ;) 

Congratulations Andy.  Since the government probably spent your SS deposits long ago, I would like to imagine that any monies that I put in are going directly to you.... for ski gear.  Spend my dollars on ski gear please.  ;D

author=Snow Bell link=topic=16221.msg68208#msg68208 date=1270925766]
With age comes wisdom.  ;) 

Congratulations Andy.  Since the government probably spent your SS deposits long ago, I would like to imagine that any monies that I put in are going directly to you.... for ski gear.  Spend my dollars on ski gear please.  ;D

My wife, Regine, says "don't worry, he buys new ski gear every year!"

Reply to this TR

1-april-2010-mt-rainier-paradise-powder
Andrew Carey
2010-04-01 14:33:58