Home > Trip Reports > 3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...

3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...

3/15/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Tophervw on 3/31/10 11:56pm
One comrade and I enjoyed the blower pow and stable conditions In the established forest at yodelin yesterday.  Sun affected snow was however brutal, though we endured no skin glop.  Our access was sped by the network of snow machine paths that began from the parking lot.  Having never toured yodelin on a weekday I figured this was the norm?  Either way I had no problem with them [as they were lapping the open faces], until they began blazing a trail up the burn, cutting down trees as they needed to sneek the sleds through.  We bugged out shortly thereafter.  Apparently they figured we were lapping the trees for a reason.

The weekend crowd should keep in mind that the area got pretty hashed yesterday.  Trees may still hold good lines if the snomo's failed to gain the area beyond the burn....

Sorry for the late post...   
What do you mean by the burn? The recent burn at the top of the ridge?
Is it kosher to even have a sled up there? I have never seen one, and although I can appreciate others having their fun, even if it is mine, I am saddened if Yodlin is going to be sledder central from now on. I have never seen a sled up there and very much enjoy the peace and quiet of the place on a storm day.

Yes Justin, the lightning strike burn from the summer of 08 i believe up where you push east into the more established trees.

I guess I was not clear enough...We were under our own power, however utilized the snowmachine tracks to get in w/o breaking much trail...

I also have never seen snowmo's up there, and am unsure on the legality of their use.  I suppose folks figure there is no enforcement, and they can get away with it....

just speculation, but my guess is that due to the low snowpack, there's no huge berms left by snowplows, so sleds can get up onto the forest service roads from the highway, the stevens overflow lot, or some other access point. 

i don't see why that area would be 'off-limits' to sleds...its national forest land, its been logged, definitely not a wilderness area.... sleds regularly make it up around Windy Pass/Union Peak area near Smithbrook Rd and play in the clearcuts around there (though they access the area from the east by Lake Wentachee instead of Smithbrook).

I bet that its perfectly legal for snomos to buzz around the Yodelin vicinity forest service roads and clearcuts, they just usually don't have easy access.

Reply to this TR

3-31-10-yodelin-with-ease
Tophervw
2010-04-01 06:56:53