telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/18/18, 06:28 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...  (Read 1630 times)
Tophervw

3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...
« on: 04/01/10, 07:56 AM »

One comrade and I enjoyed the blower pow and stable conditions In the established forest at yodelin yesterday.  Sun affected snow was however brutal, though we endured no skin glop.  Our access was sped by the network of snow machine paths that began from the parking lot.  Having never toured yodelin on a weekday I figured this was the norm?  Either way I had no problem with them [as they were lapping the open faces], until they began blazing a trail up the burn, cutting down trees as they needed to sneek the sleds through.  We bugged out shortly thereafter.  Apparently they figured we were lapping the trees for a reason.

The weekend crowd should keep in mind that the area got pretty hashed yesterday.  Trees may still hold good lines if the snomo's failed to gain the area beyond the burn....

Sorry for the late post...   
« Last Edit: 04/01/10, 01:50 PM by Tophervw » Logged

"Animal played the drums better then any other Muppet....How's That for Communism?
jdclimber

Re: 4.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/10, 12:03 PM »

What do you mean by the burn? The recent burn at the top of the ridge?
Is it kosher to even have a sled up there? I have never seen one, and although I can appreciate others having their fun, even if it is mine, I am saddened if Yodlin is going to be sledder central from now on. I have never seen a sled up there and very much enjoy the peace and quiet of the place on a storm day.
Tophervw

Re: 3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/10, 01:56 PM »

Yes Justin, the lightning strike burn from the summer of 08 i believe up where you push east into the more established trees.

I guess I was not clear enough...We were under our own power, however utilized the snowmachine tracks to get in w/o breaking much trail...

I also have never seen snowmo's up there, and am unsure on the legality of their use.  I suppose folks figure there is no enforcement, and they can get away with it....
« Last Edit: 04/01/10, 01:59 PM by Tophervw » Logged

"Animal played the drums better then any other Muppet....How's That for Communism?
Pete A

Re: 3.31.10 Yodelin...with ease...
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/10, 02:54 PM »

just speculation, but my guess is that due to the low snowpack, there's no huge berms left by snowplows, so sleds can get up onto the forest service roads from the highway, the stevens overflow lot, or some other access point. 

i don't see why that area would be 'off-limits' to sleds...its national forest land, its been logged, definitely not a wilderness area.... sleds regularly make it up around Windy Pass/Union Peak area near Smithbrook Rd and play in the clearcuts around there (though they access the area from the east by Lake Wentachee instead of Smithbrook).

I bet that its perfectly legal for snomos to buzz around the Yodelin vicinity forest service roads and clearcuts, they just usually don't have easy access.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.