Northwest Skier, 1958-91

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Jun 2004 15:00 - 06 Oct 2006 09:58 #169419 by Lowell_Skoog
Northwest Skier, 1958-91 was created by Lowell_Skoog
After a one-year hiatus to pay the bills, I'm back to work on my ski mountaineering history project. I've reviewed Northwest Skier magazine from its beginning in 1958 through 1990. If you grew up or skied in the Northwest during this period, these old magazines may trigger some memories.

Northwest Skier covers the downhill skiing boom in this region better than any other single source. It records the birth of many ski areas, the failure of others to get off the ground, and the arrival of constraints on resort development. Changes in downhill ski gear, the growth of cross-country skiing, and even a few ski mountaineering milestones are recorded here.

Here's a picture from the November 16, 1962 issue that captures the spirit of the period. It shows three carpenters getting the first ride up the brand new Miner's Basin chair at Crystal Mountain.

Here's an index to my notes from Northwest Skier. Enjoy:

www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/ref/nwskier-frame.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2004 00:24 #169421 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Northwest Skier, 1958-91
Very cool, Lowell. Thanks.<br>As usual, you're an inspiration to us all, in many ways.<br>Keep up the great work.<br>rj

More
06 Jun 2004 04:11 #169422 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Northwest Skier, 1958-91
Lowell, thanks for the link. It is a great place to spend a rainy afternoon. After reading some of the summaries, I dug into my ski library and found the Nov.1990 issue about ski mountaineering Mt. Rainier next to a copy of le Chronicle du Couloir. It's great to look back at the early days. :) Zap