Home > Trip Reports > Bachelor sidecountry - 3/30

Bachelor sidecountry - 3/30

3/15/10
OR elsewhere
Posted by davidG on 3/31/10 2:22am
Returning from 4 days flyfishing in the Nevada desert, Letty and I were pounded by a blizzard as we approached Bend, so took a room instead of staying on the road.  Next morning, 3 ft of new at Bachelor - what should we do? Duh...  Found the skis under the flyrods and headed up to earn a few.  Upper mountain was on vis hold, and it was still coming down pretty hard at times, and not knowing the BC there opted for staying close to the area.  Guest services were friendly toward skinners, suggesting the Cone, so we followed the flagged route which is basically a groomer on the right edge of the front area.  The groomers all had a foot of new on them even after the morning prep so there was plenty of snow to push on the way up.  We lost count of the number of times people called out 'go get it' and 'epic'.  Well, the Cone was great, somewhat wind affected at the top, but proto blower for the most part and the tree runout below it was prime, as well. So we made a second lap, then time to head north.  Met several locals who emphasized the 'powder day' clause in their employment contracts, so I guess not much work is getting done in Bend this week.

Seems to be that way back up here as well.    :)

Edit - oops, meant to put this in non-backcountry section
Hey, if you are skining it's sidecountry at least. 
Isn't Cinder Cone a neat little extra?  I've only been to Bach. a few times but got good tracks there every time.

I love both the descent and the beer!

If you haven't already considered it and you've got another day out try Tumalo Butte. Park at Dutchman Flat snowpark (just before the West Village Lodge) and skin up to the NE. As long as you're going up you can't get lost, and there should be countless tracks. If stability is good, drop the bowl at the top, if not just ski the low angled trees you came up. Cheaper than a lift ticket, and one of the few non-sled options for backcountry around Bachelor.

Oh, and if you like Cinder Cone, try Red Chair. Better yet, just go to the Deschutes taphouse...

author=chmnyboy link=topic=16205.msg67638#msg67638 date=1270090167]
If you haven't already considered it and you've got another day out try Tumalo Butte. Park at Dutchman Flat snowpark (just before the West Village Lodge) and skin up to the NE. As long as you're going up you can't get lost, and there should be countless tracks. If stability is good, drop the bowl at the top, if not just ski the low angled trees you came up. Cheaper than a lift ticket, and one of the few non-sled options for backcountry around Bachelor.

Oh, and if you like Cinder Cone, try Red Chair. Better yet, just go to the Deschutes taphouse...

Great information! I've always had a deep love for the Bend area, but just started splitboarding this year.  I'll have to hit it soon, April storms wouldn't surprise me the way the weather feels out there!

hey, guys, yeah the Bend area has a lot to like about it.  Chmny, our first thought was to headout from Dutchman Flat, but patrol had us freaked with tales of stiff bodies found just beyond the veil of the parking lot.  Tough vis conditions, so it waits for next time, and thanks for the reminder.

About the beer, it may be a bit early for the annual TAY review of what's fit to drink, but anything Deschutes has to be near the top of the list.

i slept in the safeway parking lot in bend about 2 months ago, woke up and skinned tumalo mt. got some amazing powder on the way down, followed it up with a burger and black butte porter from the the brewery. such an awesome day! I want to go back next year! was a bit ticked cause i wanted to summit bachelor, however, they wont let you go to the top if it's closed even if you don't ride the chair lifts. and no dogs... oh well... i had fun across the road

Reply to this TR

bachelor-sidecountry-3-30
davidG
2010-03-31 09:22:58