telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/24/14, 06:30 AM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  3/27 MOS Tatoosh, powder, friends yada,yada
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3/27 MOS Tatoosh, powder, friends yada,yada  (Read 1467 times)
Rusty Knees

3/27 MOS Tatoosh, powder, friends yada,yada
« on: 03/28/10, 08:58 PM »

Dave & I were the second car in the Narada Plot, beat only by Joe and Chris.  We all headed out together, and aimed for the Plummer/Pinnacle Basin.  Getting down through the trees was tough on me, the lone TMer, due to the scratchy bumps, alternating with pockets of ski swallowing powder. 

The climb up to the basin required some veggie assists, but it was doable.  We saw quite a bit of shallow avalanche debris in the right hand basin, probably due to more sun hitting that area.  Even so, we climbed it, and did a CT about half way up. Q1 CT12, about 6 inch layer.  The next layer broke deeper at about CT-Ouch.  Based on that we opted to not ski that basin, and climbed out on tip toes.  Probably should have gone left from the bottom.

The snow near the top of Plummer was surprisingly soft even with the full on sun, about 6" + of fresh.  We headed over to the gully, which was still in shade. Chris did a pretty aggressive ski cut just over the rollover, jumping hard, but nothing moved, so we all gave the green light and headed down.

As we peeked over the into the basin - lo and behold! someone had snuck up from below and claimed first tracks.  Chris happily called down blessings on the mysterious poachers, something to the effect of "Effing a! I can't effing believe some effing effers beat us to the effing line!"  Angry Chris can translate for you.  I may have under reported the "effs".  If we'd gone left at the bottom we would have beaten them!

All was forgiven after the great ride down to the flats.  We found Mike and Brenda had come up behind us while we were dinking around on the ridge.  It was great to meet them, and we did as much socializing as skiing.  We all did a couple more laps, then Dave & I headed down with Mike & Brenda, while Chris and Joe headed back up for more.

The Narada face skied very well in spite of the sun, there was an audience of flatlanders watching us ski down, and then it was party time at the parking lot.  Tunes, brews and story swapping.  Another great day in the mountains.

Here's a few pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/Rustyknees/3272010PlummerPinnaclePowder#
« Last Edit: 03/28/10, 09:02 PM by Rusty Knees » Logged

The best part of summer skiing is napping on a warm rock.
Don_B

Re: 3/27 MOS Tatoosh, powder, friends yada,yada
« Reply #1 on: 03/28/10, 09:22 PM »

Nice, Don! Looks much mo betta snow than Hyak environs had yesterday.
But I'm not complaining. Sun and any kind of snow made for a great day.
unclebo
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 03/29/10, 07:29 AM »

Nice - we were the car next to you  in the parking lot and had done Castle Shoulder - Foss Peak, admired your line on Plummer when we saw it, will have to try for it next time!
« Last Edit: 03/29/10, 07:35 AM by unclebo » Logged
md2020

« Reply #3 on: 03/29/10, 08:46 AM »

that was really a great day. It's always a great day when you can beat Joe Bell to a line. I don't think that happens too often. Grin

Brenda and I spotted the four of you climbing up that right side of Plummer, as we came in from the Castle side. We were actually kind of surprised to see anyone over there as well. We figured we'd better hurry or you'd be coming down above us. You must have taken quite a break at the top. We tend to take our breaks at the bottom of runs.

Anyway, it's always good running into you guys, and great meeting you for the first time Don. Small world.

Mike Metz
Andrew Carey

« Reply #4 on: 03/29/10, 09:08 AM »

Nice trip report with some great photos of TAY regulars!

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
lefttern
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 03/29/10, 12:12 PM »

We were also in the parking lot enjoying the music and story-swapping. The far right group next to the Mountaineers' car. Good times, for sure!
Snow Bell

« Reply #6 on: 03/29/10, 04:23 PM »

Fun day to be sure.  Chris and I were just as supprised to run into Rusty and Dave as we were to find Brenda and Mike skiing our powder.  I so much enjoy running into TAY'ers on the hill.  If you find Brenda and Mike in the Tatoosh, it's a good indication that you are in the right place. Sorry to miss Robie and co. but we were at full capacity in our neck of the woods anyway.  And yes Mike, we did take our time before dropping in for our first run.  We were not anticipating competition for fresh lines although it was a weekend so I suppose we should have been.  Smiley

As the gut had been deflowered, Chris and I were relegated to scraps like this:

and this...

...making two more top to bottoms after the party retreated.  We shouted down as our friends departed asking them to leave some beers at the car but they pretended not to hear us.   Wink 
Not to be left out, we rose a toast to those of you down in the lot  (we could see that Dave's truck was still there)

before skiing one more run of boot top powder

to the car (without removing my skis or putting on skins) only to find a beerless void in the snowbank.

Determined not to end a wonderful day on a sour, beerless, note; I was able to chase a rally driver all the way down the road who happened to have the same car as mine.  He was a good driver and I got to test out my newish tires for dry pavement grip and sidewall sway.  They did pretty well. Grin

« Last Edit: 03/29/10, 04:27 PM by Snow Bell » Logged

Life is going to slide by you one way or another
skierlyles

« Reply #7 on: 03/29/10, 07:58 PM »

Not too bad a time considering Brenda and Mike tracked out our line before we could get to it... if ever there was anyone I don't mind beating us to the punch, it's those two. Good times all, I sure enjoyed the gathering and the glut of powder.

One more photo of Joe getting first tracks down the nose-

* P3270040.jpg (236.36 KB, 600x800 - viewed 468 times.)
Rusty Knees

« Reply #8 on: 03/29/10, 10:44 PM »

One more photo of Joe getting first tracks down the nose-

Yeah, baby!  that shows the steep and deep pretty good.  Nice shot Chris!

The best part of summer skiing is napping on a warm rock.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.