Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2004, Nisqually Chutes, PC Variant

June 2, 2004, Nisqually Chutes, PC Variant

6/2/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 6/4/04 8:14am
The recent high pressure system motivated me to spend 3 days in the Park searching for CORN.  Left Paradise at 1:30pm which was a bit late but it would be a good test for the PC descent.  It was already in the mid 60's as I started skinning.The approach to Glacier Vista was very mushy but my super fat Rossi T4's kept me on top of the slop.  It was an SPF40 day and there was only a slight breeze.  Skinned to Pebble Creek(PC) at about 7200' and pulled the skins.  Nisqually Chutes have a predominant south exposure and they were already sun drenched and in perfect sloughing shape.  The PC line has a north/northwest exposure and provides about 1000vf.  The gully is sufficiently steep to pickup the heartbeat but provides a non threathing landing zone just in case a snowsnake arrives.  Even at 3pm as I began my descent, the snow surface was ego corn,2" of cream on a firm base.  As I reached the bottom the snow became thick and it was time to traverse skiers left.  I crossed 2 separate point release avy paths that could have easily buried a skier.  The boot pack back to Glacier Vista was HOT.  The skiing back to Paradise was agonizingly slow - made 2 turns.  The PC variant is a great short trip especially if you arrive late and you need a north exposure.  Zap
Ok, I give up. What's this 'PC' about, Zap?
--Ok, I read your report more carefully PC=Pebble Creek. I wondered what could be politically correct about the Nisqually Chute.
Enjoy the spring skiing!

Reply to this TR

june-2-2004-nisqually-chutes-pc-variant
Zap
2004-06-04 15:14:17