Home > Trip Reports > March 27, 2010, - ONP, Hurricane Hill North Bowl

March 27, 2010, - ONP, Hurricane Hill North Bowl

3/27/10
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 3/27/10 1:04pm
Jan, Jeff and I headed for Hurricane Hill under sunny skies. We were hoping to find some lingering powder from the recent snow in the northeast bowl, we were not disappointed.  :D

The skin out to the hill in the rather firm skin track (punctuated with considerable snowshoe foot prints  ::)) kept us on our toes. The final climb up to near the summit and then out the north ridge was pleasant though.

The northeast bowl held boot top powder on top of a firm, but edgable surface for almost a 1,000 vertical feet. The terrain is rolling glades, these were sweet turns.

After regaining the ridge line, we headed for the southeast face of Hurricane Hill. The sun had softened this into a soft, edgable surface; another 1,000 ft of great skiing.

By this time, we could faintly hear the call of the cold refreshments waiting for us back at the truck, not wanting to keep them waiting too long, we made a hasty return to Hurricane Ridge.  ;)

Here is a link to a few more pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100327HurricaneHillNorthBowl#

Gary and Jan

Ah, springtime in the great Pac NW!  Might be the last time we see the sun for a while, which is gooooood. 

Hey...nice turns!

My tour Friday was in and out of the clouds most of the day. By the time we made the peak it was pea soup.  You chose a much better day to to be cranking turns. Those cornices along the north rim sure are spectacular!

DH

That is a really nice line. Love to ski it in powder someday but it rides well in spring corn also. 

Looks great Gary, it's good to finally be getting some snow!  I'm moving back to Alaska, it was nice to meet you and I look forward to more reports from ONP, I enjoyed the few turns I got to make up there.

author=ovrthhills link=topic=16157.msg67478#msg67478 date=1269835651]
That is a really nice line. Love to ski it in powder someday but it rides well in spring corn also. 

With the current weather forecast, you may just get your chance.  :D
I remember your TR from last spring, this bowl is definitely a good destination in a variety of conditions.

author=AKRefugee link=topic=16157.msg67536#msg67536 date=1269915374]
Looks great Gary, it's good to finally be getting some snow!  I'm moving back to Alaska, it was nice to meet you and I look forward to more reports from ONP, I enjoyed the few turns I got to make up there.

It was good to meet you too. Sorry to hear you are leaving the Peninsula, best of luck with your return to Alaska.......

Gary and Jan

Reply to this TR

march-27-2010-onp-hurricane-hill-north-bowl
Gary_H
2010-03-27 20:04:08