Home > Trip Reports > March 18, Wasatch Mt.

March 18, Wasatch Mt.

3/15/10
Posted by Vance on 3/25/10 1:35am
This is a little late but I was waiting for the picture from my friend who had the camera. Spent a couple of weeks in the Wasatch around SLC. The high elevation and shady Northerly aspects held good powder for the duration of my trip. This area has so much Northerly terrain that it is fairly easy, if your willing to travel a little, to find good powder. It also helps, being for the N/W, that my definition of good powder is different than the locals. They leave a lot of snow to track up. I am impressed with the way they conserve there slopes - very tight lines and little waste. Temperatures changed to springtime so I headed home.
Nice picture and report.
The snow had been a little tricky down there so it's cool you got in some good safe lines.
I agree about the snow farming, I think it's etiquette there to leave a clean line and conserve space. It's funny considering how much terrain there is in the Wasatch. Also. it may be that if you find a safe area to ski, stick close to the safe lines.
I wish that etiquette would migrate to the cascades.
I heard this...You can drink my whiskey, and steal my wife, but never ski over my tracks!  ;D

I had been in contact with a SLC friend to keep me informed about the avy conditions. My timing was great and I got to ski some of the bigger lines that they hadn't touched all year due to the surface hoar conditions. It was interesting that they aren't that familiar with surface hoar hazard, according to the locals they don't experience it that often. I had dealt with it all winter in British Columbia so was a little more in tune with what and how to look for it.

I'm really surprised that they are not familiar with surface hoar. Given the cold nights, altitude and radiation at nights.
Maybe depth hoar is their specialty.
The continental snowpack is filled with depth hoar. 
That is the scariest case of all, it becomes roulette, that is why I assumed they may group their turns.
Also, when the snowpack percolates in the spring it has a slick bed to slide on when the top gets to heavy.
Anyhow, good discussion for thoughts.

Reply to this TR

march-18-wasatch-mt
Vance
2010-03-25 08:35:56