Home > Trip Reports > Mar 20, Convict Lk./ Sierra's

Mar 20, Convict Lk./ Sierra's

3/15/10
US elsewhere
Posted by all mtn on 3/24/10 10:13am
last Sat. was some ideal spring-touring weather, although there was some murkiness in the sky, as it was coming down the backside of the High. the lake is at 7,500 and the backside of Little Morrison is 10,800. the snow was about 90 % consolidated, and there was a section I threw the 'sticks' on my back - which I learned on Mt Dana years back, is less work. as I got to the mouth of the bowl, I quickly looked at the south facing wall of this playround. I estimated the pitch to be 40 degrees, and when I traversed across the middle flank I saw some of the sweetest early season corn ! I booted up the steep talus but was not too successful. I think I got about 700 vert. on this pitch. After, I think I figured out how to acccess this slope, by ascending the mellow pitched gully, then traverse back down.
Everything is filled this season ! - I recommend catchin the goods.
Always interested in the bootpacking versus skinning equation. There's definitely times when bootpacking is easier and vice versa.
Friend of mine says the hardcores at Teton Pass bootpack all the time!

Filled in eh? you guys got all our snow.. damn you el nino......... next season!

Thanks for the update on the Sierras. I usually head down every year around the end of April or beginning of May. Do you think it will still be in good shape at that time this year?
When the corn has set up in spring I usually get an alpine start for the bigger routes and use ski or boot crampons and ice ax for the steeper routes. I have found this to be much faster and safer than the tenuous edging on hardpack ice that skinning provides.

Thanks for the update.  Jill and I will be heading down mid to late April again this year.

Is there snow at Convict Lake at the TH up the ravine to Little Morrison ?

Is the road up to Rock Creek still blocked at the Snow Park or have they started clearing it for the trout opener?

Does McGee still have snow coverage along 395 near the original Mammoth Lakes ski area ?

Have you toured up South Lake near Bishop ?

Have you toured out of the Buttermilks this season ?

Thanks for any insight.

Zap

yaa, Zap and others -  its always fun to see which mode of transpo is better !   
for Zap - yaa, Mcgee has good coverage, to the bottom!  As I reported the South facing slopes had the goods. As the NE slopes are definitely too cold. It hasnt warmed up significantly, yet. 
One foot of new is forecasted next Wed.
And yes, we took your guys' snow - that aint cool !
The conditions usually get a little bumpy as the calendar turns into May. But thats why the steeps are where its at !
Tioga Road - I imagine would open to the East Yosemite entrance (Mt Dana) probably the first wk of May.

Thanks for the update.  Jill and I were the first vehicle thru the east gate at Tioga Pass last year.  It would be great if it happens in early May.

Reply to this TR

mar-20-convict-lk-sierra-s
all mtn
2010-03-24 17:13:53