Home > Trip Reports > March 19/20, 2010, North Cascades-Forbidden Tour

March 19/20, 2010, North Cascades-Forbidden Tour

3/15/10
Posted by BeckyB on 3/22/10 5:38am
Andy, Mica, Pete and I left Seattle at 4:30am on Friday bound for the Forbidden Tour.  We€™ve tried to get out on this tour no less than three times in the past, getting skunked each time by weather or avi conditions so we were psyched for the good weather on Fri/Sat.  We originally planned this as a three day trip, but with the forecast for Sunday looking rather moist, we kept it in the back of our heads that we would try to get as far as we could on Friday to increase the chances of making it all the way out on Saturday.  And if we didn€™t get as far we hoped, then we all accepted the possibility of a descent in the rain on Sunday. 

We were able to drive a few miles past the El Dorado trailhead which was a nice bonus! We left the TH a little after 8:00 and booted the first hour or so.  We had ProGuiding and Oyvind€™s tracks to follow so we enjoyed looking around at the scenery and not having to do any route finding.  There is a little bit of booting to do in the trees. The snow was quite firm so I was a little more than pleased to have my ski crampons.  I assigned them the MVP piece of gear award for the day. 

With the extra daylight we now have, we traveled at a comfortable pace and took several breaks to enjoy our surroundings.  The weather was freakin€™ perfect and the views did not disappoint.  We started up to Sharkfin Col at around 4pm climbing firmer than expected snow - glad that it wasn€™t mush! €“ the whole way up.  While we were setting up the rap, ChrisM and Liz, with whom we€™d been leapfrogging all day, climbed up to the col.  Nice to meet you folks!  We had two 30 meter ropes and they JUST cleared the bergschrund.  We all got safely on to the Boston Glacier to find knee deep, blower powder (this was after I pulled a rookie move and toppled over almost into the bergschrund and had to be rescued by Andy as I couldn€™t move under the weight of my pack in the deep snow €“ thanks Andy! ) We hooted and hollered our way down about 800 feet, skiing some of the best snow we€™ve seen all season!  At this point it was almost 6 and we were knackered, but within spitting distance of the Boston/Forbidden col (the goal we had in the back of our minds) so we pressed on, topping out right around 7pm.  The Boston Glacier is well filled in, but holy smokes there are some big holes back there!

We awoke to clear, sunny skies and packed up camp, looking forward to the 3000ft descent to the lake.  The first 1000 feet was great powder.  The next 1000 feet was a mixture of good powder and dust on crust.  We followed the bulk of the ski tracks to skier€™s right (through the trees) and found the last 1000 feet to be bumpy, chunky and icy and I fully explored the depths of my side-slipping skills.  They€™re pretty well honed.   I imagine this snow was pretty good the previous afternoon, but it was far from softened when we got to it.  The ProGuiding group was out in front of us, continuing to ease our travel by setting the skin track and boot tracks.  Thank you Erica and team!

We enjoyed a fairly leisurely climb up the Inspiration Glacier, stopping often to soak in the views and take pictures.  We got to the base of El Dorado around 2:30 under increasingly cloudy skies.  Based on the frequent discussions of what we would get at Good Food for dinner it was pretty much tacitly decided that we were heading out Saturday night.  We started down from El Dorado and had a mixture of breakable crust and calf-deep elephant snot €“ none of it particularly pleasant and all of it especially hard on tired legs.  The last 500 feet or so, before the snow ran out above the lower boulder field (elevation 4000ft€¦maybe), was actually nicely consolidated corn snow.  We appreciated having at least a handful of good turns before we got down to the unpleasant task of booting the last 300-400 feet.  Luckily a party of three had come up the trail that day so we followed their boot track down and easily located the trail in the trees.  Andy volunteered to retrieve the car so he donned his sneakers (thank god we brought them!) and raced off down the trail.  Pete, Mica and I lumbered down the trail, laughing frequently at the absurdity of trying to squeeze through and under tight trees with a big pack holding both skis and boots.  It was the sign of a good trip that even then, our spirits were still high.

Sadly, our trip ended with a tale of woe, as we came tearing into Marblemount at 7:45pm only to find, to our utter dismay, that Good Food wasn€™t even open.  We were aghast and speechless.  It was the promise of a mushroom burger, onion rings and a shake that had kept us moving and here we were€¦denied.  Alas, it isn€™t the first time our burgery dreams have been dashed by the Good Food €œClosed€ sign.  Next time, I€™ll be sure to check their hours as we€™re driving up to insure no further disappointments occur.

The route€™s in great shape and ridiculously scenic.  Go get it! 
Picture 1: Approaching the climb up to Sharkfin Col (the finger of snow leading up to the low point in the distance.  Sharkfin Col is actually off to the right of the low point, out of view).
Picture 2: Heading up out of Moraine Lake to the Inspiration Glacier.  We had a short section to boot here through the bands of rock.
Picture 3: Looking back at the run down to Moraine Lake.
Good times... nice work.  I don't know why you thought it would rain on Sunday though... ;)

Nice work gang!  Little Isaac is drooling with envy.   ;) 

It was great to meet you guys. Thanks again for letting us ride your coat tails on the rap from the col! 

Reply to this TR

march-19-20-2010-north-cascades-forbidden-tour
BeckyB
2010-03-22 12:38:14