Home > Trip Reports > 03/20 Flett Glacier Headwall

03/20 Flett Glacier Headwall

3/20/10
Posted by Kyle Miller on 3/21/10 11:06am
I had always wanted to visit Spray park/Flett Glacier mid season but never got around to it but with this perfect weather window I decided to go for it. I knew it was going to be a long day with over 24 miles and 8000 vert but with a early start I felt comfortable pulling it off in one day.

The road is gated off 4.5 miles before Mowich Lake but after the first mile it is continuous skinning other then the occasional firm spot which warranted cramponing. While coverage looks great up high you cant tell its already starting to look like may on Fay Peak and surrounding areas.

Once arriving at Spray Park I was amazed at how fast you can gain ground making it out to the Flett Glacier in less then a hour and the Headwall in 1:45 minutes. As for the ski it was smooth firm yet carvable powder on the headwall proper but in the Gullies below it was amazing as I rode over 3000 vert to the base of Hessong Rock without a single carryover.

I opted to return via Pleasant Peak to Knapsack then make a summit bid of Fay but the weather was quickly deteriorating so I choose to be safe and head back for the car arriving an hour before sunset.

The Flett Glacier

Spray park from Pleasant Peak (my line was right down the middle)
Wow Kyle, sounds like you got your fair share of exercise the past few days! Nice work

Nice dude, SOLID!  ;)

Not many places better . Thanks mucho for the inspiring  report . Do you go in  via knapsack?
If I glass real hard I might see your tracks.  

Wow!  Nice work and effort!!!

this is great!!!

I went both in and out via Knapsack.

I originally wanted to go back via Hessong rock/valley and use the summer trail as a catchline but I wasn't sure weather or not it cliffed out.

There is so much amazing terrain out there. Too bad my camera died.  :'(

awesome ... another one of my fave spots on the mountain .. nice work !!

Beautiful! A favorite spot for me as well, but I've never seen it so covered in snow. Thanks the view!

Reply to this TR

03-20-flett-glacier-headwall
Kyle Miller
2010-03-21 18:06:14