Home > Trip Reports > March 21, 2010; Barclay Saturation Tour

March 21, 2010; Barclay Saturation Tour

3/15/10
Posted by Marcus on 3/21/10 10:24am
This is for those of you who thought, "hey, maybe I should have skied somewhere near Skykomish today, I'll bet it was dry" -- it was not.

We didn't really think it would be dry either, but I wanted to do a recon trip and found a couple of fellow CBSP folks who didn't mind getting wet with the possibility of a nice ski as a payoff.

Well, we were a little late this year -- low elevation snowpack is nonexistent and there's been too much melt water working on the bottom of the line we were sniffing around, so access/safety was questionable, at best.  We ended up doing a lot of schwackin' to try to find a patch of snow to ski, to no avail.  For what it's worth, continuous snow west of the crest in the highway 2 area doesn't start until 3500 feet or higher, even on north facing stuff.  It's going fast.
Definitely like that second shot...nice!  That looks like a nice line had it held a bit more snow...

Gee, what kind silly people could you find to go on that kind of a hike?

In a good a snow year and in wintertime (happy vernal equinox!) that could be a really fun tour. The forest back there is fabulous and the creek crossings were exciting at times.

It was a fun day even if we didn't get to ski! :)

sounds fun...?

Nyla was hiking up there a few weeks ago and there was snow to be found.

I was hoping to do some touring up there this winter, but snow levels changed my plan.

Yeah, a few weeks ago would have been better, for sure.  A good spot to keep in mind for a better year.

It was totally fun, in a ridiculous-recon trip sort of way.  Sometimes you have to pay the price before you're allowed to ride the ride, eh? :)

My gear is still drying out in the basement.

author=blitz link=topic=16083.msg67096#msg67096 date=1269235751]
Gee, what kind silly people could you find to go on that kind of a hike?

I'd say people that enjoy getting out in the mountains and having a good time together irregardless of the conditions.  :)

Looks like it was a "character building" day, the smile on Marcus's face says it all though.

Nice report and good pictures,

Gary

Heh -- character was definitely built, Gary.  The shwackin' wasn't too bad, but the rain was awfully wet.

Reply to this TR

march-21-2010-barclay-saturation-tour
Marcus
2010-03-21 17:24:39