Home > Trip Reports > March 20, 2010, Forbidden Reversino Tour

March 20, 2010, Forbidden Reversino Tour

3/20/10
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 3/21/10 4:06am
Matt, Dave, and I got a 5:30 start from the gated CRR (about 1.5 m beyond the Eldorado TH).  Trail to Boston Basin getting more and more overgrown every year - lets buy some loppers and saws and have at it - 10 branches per party and just leave the tools in the trees?  Winter route always preferred to the summer route and BB quickly attained.  Decent snow for skinning, ski crampons would have been nice in places.  Got to 8200 feet and decided to change our climbing plans to touring plans.  Went up followed a Pro Guiding party up to Sharkfin col and rapped off the back onto the Boston Glacier.  Think a 30 meter rope would be cutting it too short now.

Nice skiing on the Boston Glacier.  Followed a beautifully laid track to the crossing of the N ridge of Forbidden.  The ski down the Forbidden Glacier was great fun in nice snow.  Stayed skiers left and down the gut of the glacier on snow that does not see the sun - schweet fun.  Getting to Moraine Lake this way is possible at present without any messing about.

Arrived at Moraine Lake (running water) a little after 3pm and went to bed before 7pm and sleeping for about 13 hours - boys need beauty sleep!  Now, what to do, complete the Forbidden Tour and having to hike back up to the car and half way up to Boston Basin to get our sneakers or...........climb from Moraine Lake up a couloir that goes up to Torment Col and ski the couloir and climb back up again.  Always wanted to ski that couloir and conditions seemed great, loaded, not slabby, new snow well bonded to underlying warm crust.  Not much of a choice.  The climb up the couloir was exhausting postholing galore.  Skiing it was great, whiping out our uptrack and climbing it again was super fun ;-).

The traverse back into Boston Basin worked out quite well, skiing on sun softened slopes was springish, light was flatish, and the Carne Asada in Mt Vernon was d'lish.
Nice Oyvind!  Did you run into Andy & Mica et al?

No, Marcus we never saw them although we saw several parties come down to Moraine Lake while we were climbing the chute to the Torment Col. Perhaps we were too fast for them  ;)

would have been cool to see them though.

Ahhh, THAT Dave -- cool.  I tried to convince Randy to buzz Sharkfin Col on Saturday morning, but he wasn't having any of it.

Schweet col Oyvind, Matt & Zee. We were wondering who was making the sneaker tree and it all became clear when we saw you postholing up that col.  I called out when we were skiing down to Moraine lake but eh, it might've been a bit too far.  I'm guessing that Pete might post our TR but superb conditions for the Forbidden tour as well.  Sorry we couldn't meet up with you guys but we couldn't leave town until Friday morning. 

Oyvind,

Sweet.....looked like a great trip.  Hope we can connect again sometime soon for some turns.

Kevin Grove

Reply to this TR

march-20-2010-forbidden-reversino-tour
Oyvind_Henningsen
2010-03-21 11:06:35