Home > Trip Reports > Ruth Mtn (Baker area) 3/19/2010, Bluebird, powder

Ruth Mtn (Baker area) 3/19/2010, Bluebird, powder

3/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by James Wells on 3/19/10 1:07pm
In a nutshell, we got a 4WD within 100 yards of the trailhead, put on skis at the car, and skied to the summit, admired the awesome scenery, then powder turns back down for the top 1500', mixed skiing back to the cars.  Great stable snow except some wet sluffing where the sun was beating down on it (lower down, near and below the pass).  About 8-10 dry patches, you can carry or just walk your skis over them, your call.  Ruth is in great condition for access and snow right now.  Perhaps a more detrailed TR or pix later, but this may be use if anyone is planning a trip for tomorrow.  Go for it.
Was up there yesterday and all I can say is.......exceptional snow, sun, and fun.
Great outing!

Nice, way to get some good turns in!  Sounds like a great day with the easy approach and great snow!

There is always a chance when you turn down a ski adventure that you will wish you hadn't. I passed up on Travertine's invitation because I had a number of yard work obligations and also due to a bit of uncertainty as to avy risks. So I shoveled s**t for my mother-in-law when I could have been enjoying the same blue skies with ski poles in my hands. She was very pleased with my work, but I lost what sounds like a great day in the mountains and everyone lost the photos that I would have taken. :(

Telemon you just earned more good karma!

I couldn't pass up an opportunity to be on the westside of the mountains and ski a place I hadn't been to in quite a few years.

Did you follow the drainage then north face? Your mention of the pass makes it sound like you took the ridge.

We started on the summer trail then diverted to the creek bottom.  This worked but I think we would have done better working our way up at an angle toward the pass at or near the path of the summer trail.  We got to the basin looking up steep slopes in every direction (Ruth straight ahead), and were not sure there was a good and safe route right up the gut.  So, we cut hard left into the woods and up to the pass.

From the pass, we went around the left (east) side of the point, which was probably a good call to avoid sidehilling slopes that were getting a lot of sun.  The best route from the pass was going up a few hundred feet through a band of trees, then traversing slghtly up and through a cornice, then skins off and glide down to the saddle.  Once you get the saddle, it is an easy and perfect skinning slope to the sumit.

The avalanche debris cones in the lower part of the trip are really impressive.  What a mess, trees, boulders, etc.  Not really an obstacle for us because there was (just) enough snow cover, but it is possible that the summer trail will be doomed this spring and early summer where it cuts across the open chutes.

Amazing views everywhere.  Photos by Alex Kortuem

nice photos.. looks like a fun day out James, sorry i missed ya..

Reply to this TR

ruth-mtn-baker-area-3-19-2010-bluebird-powder
James Wells
2010-03-19 20:07:16