Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2004, Goat Rocks Wilderness Area

May 1, 2004, Goat Rocks Wilderness Area

5/1/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by the_mob on 5/31/04 7:26pm

Team O'Brien took to the hills again April 27th through May 2nd for a multi-day tour into the remote Goat          Rocks Wilderness area south of White Pass. I organized food for the six day trip. Our approach was from the east side of White Pass out the Tieton Road to Scatter Creek trail head, taking trail 1118 to Tieton Pass then  on to Lutz lake and McCall basin where we would meet Ed Rundle and his cohorts who were approaching from White Pass along the Hogback. The 7-mile trek included multiple mounts and dismounts -          eventually we gave up skiing, put the boards on our packs, and hiked  for approximately 2 miles. The snow later became continuous again so we  mounted up and made it to Tieton Pass on the first night, then continued  on to McCall basin for base camp setup.
  The approach is not for the faint of heart, filled with steep rotten contours that could wash out from under your skis (leaving you sliding down into the creek bed below and having to climb out for another try).  I turtled once into a tree well and got pinned under my pack while crawling under a fallen tree (doing pushups with 55 lbs on your back would be a good prep for this one).        
       Spring conditions made for consolidated snow and limited avalanche danger. Our leaders Ed Rundle and Jim Mates are both ex-pro patrollers from Stevens Pass, so our learning curve was enhanced by insightful analyses of snow conditions and practice beeper sessions. The skiing ran          the gamut, from steep couloirs to large open bowls and everything in between all above the tree line.  

After cresting Old Snowy Mountain (7,800 ft.) we skied 3,000 ft. into  the valley for lunch and a drink of fresh water before ascending the  rolling hills below Gilbert Peak for another 2,500 ft. descent to base  camp and dinner. A day of rest was in order before the return to the  trail head. This part of the journey was more enjoyable with packs 10  lbs. lighter and skiing down hill. A fair loss of snow during our stay          made the on-dirt part of the descent a mile longer, but steps down  seemed easier than steps up so I was happier on the way out.          
       This area is a great spring ski vacation spot. Ed and Jim indicate that  few people have skied this area because it is so difficult to access, but  it is worth the challenge of getting into the Goat Rocks Wilderness in          the spring for the great skiing and solitude.

photo and more detail are on my website :
 homepage.mac.com/mpobrien/goatrocks.htm
Lucky you! I have wanted to get in there for some time. Anyone interested in the area should check out the exploits of this group:

http://cascadeclassics.org/GoatRocks/GoatRocks.htm

Nice trip! You were smart to go during our abnormally nice spring weather - and the snow conditions look like they were great. Andy and I did a five day trip there two years ago, in late June of a good snow year. We came in from the west side - Snowgrass Flats trail - when there was only about a third of a mile road walk. The approach was shorter than the east side approach, and though the coverage around the Goat Rocks was less than what you found, it was still fully adequate. I'd like to get back there again - with perfect snow and weather of course!

The pioneers of skiing in the White Pass and Goat Rocks area were Chuck and Marion Hessey of Naches Washington (*). Chuck and friends probably did the first skiing on Hogback Mountain shortly after the White Pass highway was opened in 1951. In March 1953, Chuck, Marion and their friends Dorothy Egg and Tom Lyon skied from White Pass to the Goat Rocks and back, taking about a week. They slept on bough beds, cooked over campfires in the snow, slept in sweaty Army surplus tents, and toured on wooden skis with flimsy leather boots. They also made 8mm movies of their trip.

Chuck Hessey is deceased but the other members of the 1953 party are all still around. I've spoken to each of them and remain inspired by their adventures.

(*) Actually, there were earlier skiers in the Goat Roaks: Dwight Watson and Sigurd Hall in 1937 and the Ptarmigans in 1942, but they didn't approach from White Pass.

I'll bet Bill Grubb, family and friends also skied it from their cabin in Packwood quite a while back. That is a beautiful lonesome area. I've hiked it in summer, entering from the trail out of Lk Packwood. What a great ski trip!

I sure enjoyed this area and yes we were very lucky to get the great weather. I appreciate the great historic notes from Lowell . Is there a tome from which you draw this information? Getting into this area with more primitive equipment would be problematic.

You guys did a great job! That area is not easy to travel through, I can attain to that having skied between hogsback and tieton several times. Awesome work!!! I love the remote nature and the lack of people. My first overnight hike on my own was to old snowy, goat lake and the old lookout on Johnson Peak. I remember getting chewed out for having music. I could barely hear it from 5ft away. Ha. Good times...

I appreciate the great historic notes from Lowell . Is there a tome from which you draw this information?

Not yet. I'm writing one. My research findings can be found here: http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history

Reply to this TR

may-1-2004-goat-rocks-wilderness-area
the_mob
2004-06-01 02:26:26