Home > Trip Reports > March 7-17 La Grave Fr

March 7-17 La Grave Fr

3/15/10
Posted by Seth on 3/17/10 6:45pm
Just finished 10 days in the La Grave area and thought I would post a short report in case anyone was heading over here.  No new snow at LaGrave while we were there but good coverage, stable conditions, and a whole lot of sunshine.  East of Col du Lautaret got 10-20cms the second day after we arrived.  Italy got a whole lot of snow  We did 3 days using the Telepherique at La Grave, the rest touring to places within 20 kms.  Here is a list of our tours.

le Signal de la Grave

Pic du Mas de la Grave

Pic Blanc du Galibier

Combe du Riou

les Clochettes

Col de Laurichard

Pic Ouest de Combeynot

If you would like more details on any of the tours or the Telepherique at La Grave proper feel free to shoot me a line.

Im in Paris right now visiting my brother and didnt bring our camera cord.  So sorry no pics til we get back.

I hate French keyboards

Way to get it done.

Sounds way more fun than skiing groomers at Sun Valley with snow cover that looks more appropriate for chukar hunting . . .

Yeah, those French keyboards are a treat, too!

I'm actively involved with planning a trip to La Grave for next season as we speak.
Any pictures. Edit: reread your post.... look forward to pics when you get back.
Did you use a guide at any time and did you feel the terrain Ok to ski without a guide?
What do you know about the Skiers' Lodge in La Grave??

We did not use a guide.  However my wife and I lived the season in La Grave a few years ago.  So we became more acoustom to the area.  I would say the shorter the stay the more I would recommend a guide.  If you do use a guide the skiers lodge package is a good way to go.  If you go that route I would recommend Keith Garvey.  He has guided there for many seasons.  He is motivated and enthusiastic.  Good guy.

If you dont use a guide finding good skiing is very doable.  The French maps are great and show most of the major ski tours.  For the most part it is see it and ski it.  Bull shiting with the locals helps too.  The wind can play a big role in where the good skiing is.  Local knowledge is helpful.  If you go at it alone, a car is good to have.  There is touring right out of La Grave but much more if you can drive 10 to 20kms

If you stay there more than a week and get a good high pressure system, I would try to do a multi-day tour utilizing one  or more of the many Parc des Ecrin refuges

I was there in March of 2003 at the Skiers Lodge and had an awesome trip.  We were blessed with storm when we arrived and the rest of the week of blue bird days to seek out steep lines and fresh snow. At that time, Skiers Lodge was based up on the hillside at the La Chaumine lodge.  After a ownership split (or some other drama) Pelle moved his business down to the village itself. The La Chaumine lodge was impressive.

If you are only going for a week, then I would highly recommend having a guide like Pelle or one of his guys. It's just worth it to really take advantage of the terrain.  Otherwise, you go all the way there and stick to the main runs because it takes too long to find the good stuff.  I'm skiing the Haute Route in April and we have hired one of Pelle's guides to take us.  He runs a great outfit and to have all the food/lodging/guiding in a nice package was a treat.  Another benefit was that we would ski lines (4-7k vertical) that would end up in another village down the road.  Our guide would radio ahead to the driver and a mini-bus would come and pick us up!

Our week was the at the same time as the Doug Coombs steep camp, too.  Coombs partnered with our guide to take us down a steep couloir.  In a sad coincidence, it was the same couloir years later that he died on.  The difference being that we were roped up for the crux. It can be a sketchy place.

I highly recommend Pelle Lang's Skier's Lodge and guide service.
http://skierslodge.com/

You can opt to ski with his guides for a few days and then on your own for a few days.  His lodge can be all inclusive (room, food, guide) or just room.

Also, no need to speak French.

Bon Voyage!

If anyone is still interested here are some pics:

Reply to this TR

march-7-17-la-grave-fr
Seth
2010-03-18 01:45:49