Home > Trip Reports > March 15, 2010, Tatoosh

March 15, 2010, Tatoosh

3/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cons on 3/16/10 4:28am
Beautiful day, beautiful area, and beautiful skiing. 2 tours, pics on:
www.skistories.blogspot.com

I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks for sharing cons.  The Tatoosh is one of my favorite places.

The no name peak is called Foss.  I call the lake Castle Lake but I don't know where I got that one.  The sub peak on Unicorn I call Pollycorn but it may have a common name.  I also want to change the name of Boundary Peak (The other bump S of Unicorn) to Mollycorn and call point 5868 (across the Butter Creek drainage) Boundary Peak.  But of course until they are printed on Jarvis' rosetta map they are not official.  ;)

Ditto.
Raukin' pictures, cons.

Also FWIW - I think your "no name peak" (aka 6524 on most USGS maps) is called Foss Peak. I've seen it named as such  on some other maps (Stanley Mt Rainier Centennial Edition for one) and I know a lot of the older locals call it that.

Keep up the great photos - the Tatoosh surely rocks.

Thanks guys, I changed the names to your suggestions because I think having names, whether official or not, are better than no names or numbers.

Sorry to be late to this party…just fired up a donated computer after 3 months without. 

FWIW, the oldtimer who first took me on the Foss/Sunbeam loop back in the 70’s called ‘Castle Lake’ Foss Tarn.  It dries up most summers.   The standard Tatoosh access that many today call ‘Castle Saddle’ was then carefully referred to as Castle Shoulder to avoid confusion with the small pass between Pinnacle and Castle.  Pinnacle Saddle was where the summer trail “ends”.

No biggie, we all have our pet names, sometimes used flexibly to protect our stashes?  Mine tend toward geographic description, but I also like the idea of extending the ‘Paradise Theme’ (Golden Gate, Theosophy Ridge, Narada, the various Devil’s Dips, etc.).  Norse mythology might be a rich vein.  I’ll admit to using ‘Angel‘s Landing, ‘Pearly Gate’ and ’Nirvana’, but would rather not say where.  'Holy Grail’ fits as well …Joe's '-corns', not so much, but at least they're above Butter Creek   :)   

I’ll second Snow Bell; ron j for Name Czar!   ;D

author=vogtski link=topic=15994.msg66875#msg66875 date=1268803131]
I’ll second Snow Bell; ron j for Name Czar!   ;D

A gracious gesture, Gary.
Fact is though, the majority of the feature/line names on my "Rosetta Stone" map came from you ;)

author=ron j link=topic=15994.msg66836#msg66836 date=1268774016]
I think your "no name peak" (aka 6524 on most USGS maps) is called Foss Peak. I've seen it named as such  on some other maps (Stanley Mt Rainier Centennial Edition for one) and I know a lot of the older locals call it that.

I'll second ron j---Snow bell is now an "older local"!  ;)

I'm liking "Foss tarn "  Always feel weird calling it a lake.
lakes should have bait /beer shops.

Yeah, I'm liking "Foss Tarn" too, for the pond at the "Foss Saddle".
That's going onto the "Rosetta Stone" :)

Foss Tarn it it shall be for me.  Thanks for chiming in Gary and Ron. 

Are there other names floating around for the subpeak of Unicorn?  It deserves a name in my book.  I have been calling it Pollycorn to illustrate the irony of naming a triple spired mountain Uni anything but I recognize that, despite Mack's back handed endorsement, that my prerogative on the matter is of little consequence.

I look forward to earning my credability as a Tatoosh local over many more years.   :)

author=Snow Bell link=topic=15994.msg66892#msg66892 date=1268853736]
Are there other names floating around for the subpeak of Unicorn?  It deserves a name in my book.  I have been calling it Pollycorn to illustrate the irony of naming a triple spired mountain Uni anything...

Joe, your Tatoosh credibility is not in doubt!  Not very creative, but I’ve heard this lumpy summit called ‘West Pk.‘  Perhaps the namers (1905 1st ascent party? ) saw an outline of the mythical beast?  I’m more analytical than imaginative, but if the 6917’ summit is the horn, wouldn’t your ‘Polycorn’ be the hindquarters?   How about Uni-rump?    :D

Say Ron, are you ever going to publish or will the Rosetta Disc perish?  Consider leaving it to the Park’s Interpretive Association in your will.    ;D   Then they could defray expenses by peddling digital & paper copies vastly superior to that pathetic handout the snowshoers are always holding when they ask where they are.  I'm still working on an artistic Dee Molenaar-type oblique view with green, blue and black lines like a ski area map, but incorrectly located to lead people away from the best runs... 

"the sweet terrain to ski in any avy condition"

Wondering if you could elaborate on this... 

Cheers!

author=~Link~ link=topic=15994.msg66922#msg66922 date=1268891131]
"the sweet terrain to ski in any avy condition"

There's a lot of beautiful skiing up there that is not avalanche terrain either because it is not steep enough or it has enough trees. We've skied there on high avalanche days and felt fine because we weren't on or near anything that could slide.

Are there other names floating around for the subpeak of Unicorn?  It deserves a name in my book.

I agree.  I think when we were camped out that way in January we proposed "Snow Bell's Corn".  :D

Are there other names floating around for the subpeak of Unicorn?  It deserves a name in my book.

I've always thought of it as "Bicorn" (I guess to get even with who ever called the higher one to the north "Uni" :)).
But I don't feel strongy enough to take a stand on the matter.
It might be, nonetheless, fun to come to a consensus and then "thus proclaim it as so".
I would think that should even qualify the name for entry onto the "Rosetta Stone".

How about " Jarvis's Knob"......
Has a ring to it. ;D

or Aguille Dingdong
or Dent de Voght?

On the other hand there could be some names I might take a stand on  ::)

you do a fine job with your b&w and duotones ... thx for posting conner

Maybe "Scotty's Stub"?  :D

Hold the presses!

The unnamed peak called Foss may have another name according to the Mountaineers Tahoma Peaks list:

Manatee Mountain

What say you wise elders?

Reply to this TR

march-15-2010-tatoosh
cons
2010-03-16 11:28:58