Home > Trip Reports > March 11, 2010, Pioneer Pk,Wasatch

March 11, 2010, Pioneer Pk,Wasatch

3/11/10
Posted by Zap on 3/12/10 7:10am
Finally a cold, sunny day with temps in the teens and light winds made a backcountry tour ideal.  We passed through the backcountry gate at the top of the Crest lift.  Most folks boot the ridge and drop into V Trees and the sidecountry terrain; Jill and I put on the skins to climb the ridge and began the slog towards Pioneer Peak. The first high point is at 10,320€™.  There was a very inviting descent down towards Snake Creek, but its southern exposure was rather suspect and there were no recent old tracks.  The ridge line towards Pioneer had some interesting descent chutes for those with experience of the landing zones.  We passed many inviting lines, but we could see the area ahead that we wanted to ski.  Once at Pioneer, we enjoyed the big views towards Alta, Sunset Peak, Tuscarora, Wolverine and all of the touring terrain available.  The Powderguide Heli folks were operational, but they were not landing in our immediate area. We pulled the skins and descended boot-deep powder along the north-facing narrow ridge, traversing until a rational descent slot was found. The powder was light as we entered the basin and met other tracks for the return glide back to the ski area.  Today was a day about €œthe tour€ versus €œthe turns€.  There were numerous folks within sight and plenty of easier access terrain available.  We enjoyed an untracked descent from Pioneer and our eyes €œwere filled€ with touring options.  Touring above 10,000 feet provided plenty of opportunity to travel slowly and enjoy the views (while 'sucking air€™)

Photo 1: Looking at V Trees(in ski area) from Pioneer Peak.

Photo 2: Pioneer(L), Tuscarora(Center) Wolverine(Back)

Photo 3: Pioneer Powder
sweet .. my big bro was over that way ... and had a great time ... he's headed to mt blanc now and then back to the sierras ... where i may join him ...

Reply to this TR

march-11-2010-pioneer-pk-wasatch
Zap
2010-03-12 15:10:49