Home > Trip Reports > March 8, 2010, Ovronnaz, Switzerland

March 8, 2010, Ovronnaz, Switzerland

3/8/10
Europe
Posted by SteveH on 3/8/10 6:52pm
Waking up our first morning in Switzerland, we look out the window to see the start of a bluebird day. Toby, Sylvie, Tim and I headed up to Ovronnaz ski area where we bought a single trip up two lifts and a tee bar. We skinned up several thousand feet to a col with a stunning view of Mt Blanc. A little further up at 2600 meters we stripped off the skins and scoped out our lines. Sylvie first dropped and discovered great boot deep powder . The several day old  snow was stable, wind effected in places but good lines were easily found. There are many clean lines just outside the ski area.

I must say, the Alps have exceeded my expectations! More to come.
Nice! How's the snowpack? I'll be there doing the Haute Route in a few weeks.

but what about the beer steve, is it as good as yours ??

Sadly Emma, the beer is not a priority here, it is all about the local wine, cheeses and sausages which are almost as good as yours.

The snow coverage is  a little below average with many areas blown out but Toby has guided us into some great stashes.

Since Steve's first report, we have skied Champex and Les Merricotes -- two tiny areas with access to incredible backcountry above the top lift.  For a Randonee pass of from 10 to 13 Swiss France.  There has been only an inch or two of new snow since last Saturday, but we have been able sniff out the deposit zones and ski boot deep pow. These little areas with RAndonee access are thre jewels of La Suisse. The gods willing, I will try to coax this Internet Cafe French keyboard into posting a photo.

Yesterday we skied our first big area -- Glacier 3000.  Toby found a 5000' run throuogh nearly untracked powder. I was too intimidated by the travrese to these goods to join the fun, but intend to rectify that deficiency tomorrow.

Hmm, I don't have a site to post these too, and they are too big to attach.  There is no photo sizing app on this computer. peutetre demain.

Les Marecottes

Reply to this TR

march-8-2010-ovronnaz-switzerland
SteveH
2010-03-09 02:52:04