Home > Trip Reports > March 7, 2010, Tincan Proper, Turnagain Pass, AK

March 7, 2010, Tincan Proper, Turnagain Pass, AK

3/7/10
Posted by jdoneill on 3/8/10 2:24am
After snow for 9 out of the last 10 days ending with an epic blizzard dropping 34" at higher elevations, it turned bluebird and stable.  With an approaching blizzard expected to start early evening, we headed back to the pass looking to enter a North Facing Couloir off of Tincan Proper. 

Hiking up past Tincan common

Kickstep looking approachable from here

Scouting the North Face chutes on approach towards Todd's Run

Ridge to Tincan Proper summit

After scouting both sides of the ridge, north holding the couloir we came for and south holding steep consistent pitch down to tincan creek, we decided to stay in the sun and take the south face. 

Strap in ...

After a big ski cut into the top of the face, it was time to rip.

Dropping ...

The 6'+ snow from the latest storm cycle bonded really well and was non-responsive to some small cornice drops and ski cuts.  This is the Coastal Chugach snowpack we are used to. 
nice.. looks like fun..

Nice!  A very powdery north side of Tincan was the very first thing Pete and I skied on a two week Alaska trip back in 2007.  It was a sweet introduction to Chugach skiing!  Thanks for the memories! :)

Blizzard was BIG and rapidly loaded the snowpack with new weight.  3 feet in the driveway ...

Resort day  ;D

i'm going to skip the jealousy and go right to the "this is not fair" argument.

Toured Eddies yesterday to get a look at the north facing couloir which was our original objective ...

Can't wait to go after this again  ;D

Nice report. Skied up on Turnagain the 12th and had Bluebird w/ great pow! AWESOME place and it sure helped getting a 45" dump the night of the 7th!

More images from my partner

Looking down the intended North Facing Line

Exiting the Chute

Hiking out

Silent movie > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39QryPdEH0 provided by partner  ;D. 

author=cornRIDE link=topic=15898.msg66490#msg66490 date=1268167300]
i'm going to skip the jealousy and go right to the "this is not fair" argument.

Kinda what I was thinking...

But I guess I should quash that impulse and just say "cool place you got there, thanks for sharing!"

Reply to this TR

march-7-2010-tincan-proper-turnagain-pass-ak
jdoneill
2010-03-08 10:24:49