Home > Trip Reports > March 7, 2010, Soldier Mt,ID - Sidecountry

March 7, 2010, Soldier Mt,ID - Sidecountry

3/7/10
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 3/7/10 11:40am

We spent the evening parked near the City Center park in Fairfield, ID.  In the morning we drove the 13 miles to Soldier Mt.  The area was closed for awhile during the past year, but apparently some new investors are involved including Bruce Willis (the actor).  No, Bruce was not flippin€™ burgers today; what a disappointment.  We arrived in the parking area and noticed numerous vehicles, mainly 4wd pickups, with Ski Patrollers.  After counting about 20 patrollers, my curiosity got the better of me and I asked a patroller what was going on.  There was a training session for all patrollers in SW and Central Idaho. The area has 2 double chairs, but today the upper lift was closed.  So our senior lift ticket was $17. With a total vertical of 1400vf, the bottom lift served about 900vf.  The area boasts the best grooming in the NW, and I must say the groomers were in perfect shape.  There was no new snow so we stayed on the groomers; off piste was breakable crust.  They have a new lodge and 3 rather new groomers.

Now, the sidecountry at Soldier Mt. is very impressive.  The base area is 5752€™ and the top of the upper lift is 7177€™.  From the upper lift you can easily traverse to Bitter Creek Ridge and descend north-facing bowls, ridges, and tree lines until you are exhausted. You can then descend to Bitter Creek and cycle back to the base area. There is almost no competition.  OK, let€™s say you want to go higher.  From the top of the upper chair you can skin to Peak 1 at 9147€™or Peak 2 at 9529€™ or Smokey Dome at 10095€™.  This place is a real gem.  If you€™re passing this way, you should stop by and either ride the lifts and /or tour.

Photos 1 and 2: Bitter Creek Ridge

Photo 3: Peaks1 and 2 above the lifts

Wow!  What a find...must check out...

What's the leaving- ski- area- boundary while riding the lifts?

Excellent report!! Thnx

author=skierguitarist link=topic=15885.msg66302#msg66302 date=1268021350]
Wow!  What a find...must check out...

What's the leaving- ski- area- boundary while riding the lifts?

The daily avy report is posted next to the ticket window.  The ski patrol folks were friendly and provided "the beta".  They have the usual warning sign about leaving the ski area boundary and being responsible for the rescue effort but you can tour wherever you desire. 

Always wanted to ski there.
Thanks for the info, probably awesome spring corn on those slopes.

Reply to this TR

march-7-2010-soldier-mt-id-sidecountry
Zap
2010-03-07 19:40:02