Home > Forum > Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow??

Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow??

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
25 May 2004 09:33 #169396 by Schmitz
Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow?? was created by Schmitz
I'm thinking of doing a skin up to Mt. Pilchuck, or the other neighboring mountans, (like Long, Big Bear Liberty) after school one of these days. Is there still snow up there. If so, how is the first section in the tight trees?<br><br> <br><br>thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• prgsmall
  • [prgsmall]
More
25 May 2004 12:33 #169397 by prgsmall
Replied by prgsmall on topic Re: Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow??
Hi Schmitz,<br><br>Driving by last night, there looked to be plenty of snow still. I was up Mount Pilchuck last Tuesday. I didn't ski, cause I wanted to try out my new crampons, but there was enough snow to ski, although going fast. The snow was pretty patchy in the lower trees area. I would say that you would be best to carry your skis up the trail until the trail goes around the corner to that large open area immediately below the peak. When I was there, there was enough snow to ski down the ridge immediately below the mountain, all the way down to right above Heather Lake. The SE Couloir from the top was bare at the bottom, where it comes into the woods. I think that there will be enough snow for a good tour still and more turns to be found. I might be up there myself on Sunday and ski.<br><br>Peter

More
27 May 2004 03:26 #169403 by jt
The southeast gully is gone, though the rolling lower slopes still have snow. I was up there three times in April and May and there was plenty. A friend was up last week on Tuesday, 5-18 and a photo he took showed the gully pretty well melted out. If it were me, I'd look elsewhere, but don't let me discourage you. You might still find a linkable line. Watch for rocks and schrunds. ???

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
16 Jun 2004 10:08 #169448 by Schmitz
Replied by Schmitz on topic Re: Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow??
I've done pilchuck many times and havent come in counter with the SE colouir, just SE right off the top? How do you get back to the asenting side?

• prgsmall
  • [prgsmall]
More
16 Jun 2004 11:39 #169450 by prgsmall
Replied by prgsmall on topic Re: Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow??
Yes, it is SE off the top. Go down the ladder from the lookout and then head down the flat ridge that stretches to the S. There is another rocky ridge that heads east of the summit. The gully is immediately to the S of the rocky ridge. At the bottom it turns to the right. If you don't want to hike too far. Stop there and climb up through the woods over a saddle to gain the north part of the mountain. The bottom half of the gully is most likely all melted out by now.<br><br>Peter

More
17 Jun 2004 03:00 #169451 by jt
Peter's description'll get you back on the north side where you want to be. Just hike up and to your left as soon as the gully makes a sharp bend to the right, dropping probably 800+ feet further. If you head further down the gully this way you will need to retrace your steps to the hike up point. <br> <br>I don't really have any pics that show the route, but here are some that give some closer up views of the gully and surrounding terrain. Unfortunately you will find conditions more like in the first shot rather than the rest. Hit it early next year. It's an awesome moutain to ski! April and May are definitely best. Fun hike as well and good scrambling when the snow is gone. <br> <br>From 5-18-04 (this shows the steepest part of the gully; more snow should be tucked back behind the rightside rocks in the foreground) <br>www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=5345&passwor d=&sort=1&cat=515&page=1

The rest of these are from late April '04:
(taken from near summit looking out over the SE gully)
www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=5346&passwor d=&sort=1&cat=515&page=1

(the gully itself)
www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=5347&passwor d=&sort=1&cat=515&page=1

(skiing down the gully--the hike up is where the gully levels before bending rightward)
www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=4787&passwor d=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

(hiking up over the ridge to reconnect)
www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=5348&passwor d=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

(returning toward the car)
www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=4788&passwor d=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

• Schmitz
  • [Schmitz]
More
17 Jun 2004 15:38 - 17 Jun 2004 16:04 #169466 by Schmitz
Replied by Schmitz on topic Re: Mt. Pilchuck Conditions, Still Snow??
thanks for the info, and thoughs are some great pics. As I climbed Mt. Pilchuck in March I saw to the climbers left these big roling noles. Are they accesable to ski (looks like high avie potential), and to get out of? Here's a pic of the noles

More
18 Jun 2004 02:59 #169469 by jt
Nice amount of snow in that pic! Those slopes are accessed via the route described in this thread. Ski the SE gully, boot 150' up left over the ridge after descending first part of gully. From here many options exist and are dependent on avy conditions, amount of snow remaining, and your desire for thrill. I only recommend exploring on a high visibility day as there are many cliffs that can suddenly appear from out of the fog.<br><br>The standard route down would be--from where you pop over the ridge out of the SE gully, make a slightly skier's right traverse to reach the other side of the little basin you are at the top of; avoid the chutes to your left and follow the blunt ridge down several hundred feet (the chutes to the left go through and are worth exploring under the right conditions); at some point you need to turn left and descend into the drainage skier left. Cross the drainage near its head below some large steep slabby cliffs; make a downward and skier left traverse staying a bit above the drainage until you reach a small bowl; hike straight up it into a flat spot below where your pic was shot or traverse across the bowl aiming for the trees and pick a way through (you get a few more turns if you go straight up); keep working slightly skier left and you are at the top of the clear cut above the car.<br><br>Yes there is a lot of potential for avalanches here and many terrain traps. Good visibility is definitely a plus when first exploring here and watch for climax avies coming off the steep cliffs. These could be deadly. We routinely set off small, slow surface slides but they can be easily outrun or steered away from so long as they don't suck you into a terrain trap. Pilchuck is a great mountain worthy of many return trips. There's nearly limitless lines and easy, easy access.<br><br>At this point, I'd wait until next year though if you're looking for fun skiing.