Home > Trip Reports > March 3, Teton Pass

March 3, Teton Pass

3/15/10
US elsewhere
Posted by chmnyboy on 3/3/10 6:59am
7000' the easy way. Met up with a few locals at the pass and skinned up 800' to Mt Elly where we dropped into "the claw," a steep, treed, N facing run which held good snow and dumped us out just above the town of Wilson. Hitched back to the pass and booted up 1600' to Glory which was a great way to sweat out the evil from last night. Skied great leftover powder down coal creek, hitching again back to the car at the pass. The terrain around the pass is incredible, endless bowls and enough lines to still find untracked powder a week after the last storm.

Forgot the camera at the cabin.
Thanks for the TR.  Jill and I just left for an extended Road Trip.  Currently at Timberline and we'll be working our way to Anthony Lakes, Brundage, Soldier,...Then down to Brighton for a few days.  Then up to Teton Pass, Grand Targhee, Big Sky,...

What's the locals feedback on this years snowback depth compared to LY ?

"Forgot the camera at the cabin"  =  more turns sometimes. 
Cool report, Chmnyboy.  Hurricane Ridge often supplies good hitching for micro-laps.  :)

A road trip on the way... During an El Nino year, Idaho?  How about the eastern sierra which just got 2 feet of blower pow that will hold with the temps...  Keep the trip alive, I'd just head south a bit.

author=Zap link=topic=15842.msg66119#msg66119 date=1267665336]
Thanks for the TR.  Jill and I just left for an extended Road Trip.  Currently at Timberline and we'll be working our way to Anthony Lakes, Brundage, Soldier,...Then down to Brighton for a few days.  Then up to Teton Pass, Grand Targhee, Big Sky,...

What's the locals feedback on this years snowback depth compared to LY ?

Yeah, we're kinda doing that loop backwards - we'd love to stay in jackson, but it looks like UT is gonna get hit hardest by this next storm. From what I gather, the Tetons have had a lower than average snowpack, but they're not hurting like Utah is. Apparently the pass normally has 15' snowbanks as opposed to the 4' banks now.

author=telemack link=topic=15842.msg66122#msg66122 date=1267677182]
"Forgot the camera at the cabin"  =  more turns sometimes.

i hate stopping for pictures, but always regret when i end up without them. slowly learning to slow down and click a few.

author=chmnyboy link=topic=15842.msg66128#msg66128 date=1267683146]
Yeah, we're kinda doing that loop backwards - we'd love to stay in jackson, but it looks like UT is gonna get hit hardest by this next storm. From what I gather, the Tetons have had a lower than average snowpack, but they're not hurting like Utah is. Apparently the pass normally has 15' snowbanks as opposed to the 4' banks now.

i hate stopping for pictures, but always regret when i end up without them. slowly learning to slow down and click a few.

Quoting Snowbell,  "Life is going to slide by you one way or another"

Please, slow down, smell the flowers and post some pictures for those of us toiling to fuel the "Economic Recovery"  ::)

oh wait.....did I hear you say you needed to slow down and take a few pics along the way !!? Maybe I can move my camera from my chest to my pocket so I don't have to take them mid stride !!! Glad you finally came to the relization that there is more to life then....perhaps....the moment. Hope you have fun and will rub this in again later......Split

I love Teton Pass.  That is all.

Nice work doing the classic Teton Pass double dip. For years my favorite after work /pre-work routine was to park above Wilson, hitch up, ski to coal creek, hitch back, then ski Elly or anything else right there back to the car. I'd also recommend doing a Run of the Bowls: Glory Bowl, then Little Tucks, then Unskiabowl, then Horseshoe Bowl/Great White Hump.

The Tetons this year have gotten 300", a little below average. But the last 2 years were epic with 700 and 600 inches (measured through the June storms, so the Resort's numbers, which closes in the beginning of April, are lower).

Nice work.  Hope to make a similar journey next season, meet up with some old family friends and acquaintances is Utah, bust.  Do take pics!

Reply to this TR

march-3-teton-pass
chmnyboy
2010-03-03 14:59:07