Home > Trip Reports > February 28, 2010, Norse Peak

February 28, 2010, Norse Peak

2/28/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by John on 3/2/10 9:56am
It was a great day for touring in the Crystal backcountry.  Largely breakable crust up to about 6,300 feet in Bullion Basin with great variety in snow condition with every shift in aspect and terrain.  But the sun was out and the scenery was grand.  We set our objective as a ridgeline tour to Norse Peak.  The slopes into Cement Basin looked like consolidated powder and no crust but we were resolute and, also, a bit suspicious of their stability.  Our suspicions were confirmed when we saw that a slab released on the north side of the pass between Cement and Lake Basin.  We couldn't tell whether it was a natural release or skiers who followed the ridge up from the pass.
We enjoyed the views from Norse Peak, had a few good turns down to the trees and then found the sun had turned the western hill to slop.  Our plan to stay in the trees on the way down was reinforced after we cut loose several small slow moving wet slabs (3 - 4 inches, 5 or 6 feet wide).
Good job staying safe and a nice report.

Good to see you and Meg are out...and back safely.  Rich and I had fun too on Del Campo last Sun.

Hey Kenji - how was the access to Del Campo and how high did the snow start? Was it a quick hike in from the road? Seems like a good year to try stuff off the Mountain Loop.

author=JimH link=topic=15832.msg66147#msg66147 date=1267726848">
Hey Kenji - how was the access to Del Campo and how high did the snow start? Was it a quick hike in from the road? Seems like a good year to try stuff off the Mountain Loop.

I wouldn't say it's a quick hike, unless you know the path well.  The road has no snow, and the trail is snow free.  My trip here

Reply to this TR

february-28-2010-norse-peak
John
2010-03-02 17:56:50