Home > Trip Reports > February 28, 2010, Hogback

February 28, 2010, Hogback

2/28/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by davidG on 3/2/10 6:36am
Most days in the backcountry are fair evidence of a life well lived, but Sunday on Hogback was just about as good as it gets for us.  Clear blue and calm, the 1 1/2 hour approach from the top of the White pass chair brought our crew of three to stellar 360 degree views and better than expected snow conditions

We figured the higher elevation band at Hogback would still be holding, and so it was.  The glades were perfect and all lines out of the sun gave silky boot top rides over soft snow below and no crusts.  Even in the sun, the top 5-600' skied well.

There was another crew ahead of us and we watched them ski the 'big' line in Bowl #3 as we approached.  We were a bit concerned with stability conditions there as Gunsight bowl (#2) with similar aspect had slid the full length of it's sun affected face, probably the prior day.  Pinwheels and other point releases were evident all along the southwest exposure, but it's the north east bowls that are the main attraction here.  We lapped the NW facing aspects which won't see much sun until the angle is higher in the sky. There is, of course, ample opportunity to head further out on the ridge toward and to the Goat Rocks, and I would expect that we'll be seeing more of that as the Ski resort completes its' expansion to within a 10 min skin of the ridge.  Some lament this expansion, and I'd just as soon make the longer approach, too as an almost guarantee of clean lines,but there is a fair amount of terrain.  What concerns me the most will be the easy accessibility by boot of inbounds riders looking to duck the ropes and head for unmanaged snow.  Those who ski bc here shouldn't fail to warn others of the risks and hopefully the resort will place some serious signage.

More pics here http://picasaweb.google.com/101574517083664799725/Hogback_28FEB2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCKjvt_vB3PeA9gE

Less than one week later, one of the slopes i had thought fairly stable (steepish NW with little sun affect), bowl #3, broke shoulder to shoulder - well over a 1/4 mile and went to the bottom.  jeez.

Pretty much screwed the pooch on camera settings so don't have a good visual, but from two miles away the crown looked to be 6+ feet.  We stayed inbounds.

Reply to this TR

february-28-2010-hogback
davidG
2010-03-02 14:36:23