Home > Trip Reports > Feb 27, 2010, Turnagain Pass, Sunburst

Feb 27, 2010, Turnagain Pass, Sunburst

2/27/10
Posted by jdoneill on 3/1/10 2:00pm
After a vicious tropical punch which brought 7.5 feet of snow and 9 inches of water, with consistent rain below 1000', sometimes pushing to 3000', over a nine day period since my last tip toe effort, the mountains began to heal.  4 days later it snowed 5" - 7" of light density snow and cold temps.  My partner and I decided to finally check out pass conditions. 

Found dust on concrete crust when starting the tour.  But as we ascended, snow quality was showing major signs of improvement.  We decided to not to pursue any big lines and stick to a limited tracked face which offered the steepest consistent line down.  Line started blower, but quickly returned to maybe 5" - 6" on concrete crust. 

February has been difficult, hoping March brings us some better consistency.
Thanks for the TR and the pictures.  I skied down in the meadows by the road as a boy.  Hope your late winter/spring improves!

Hello JD,
Great report, caught me by surprise reading down the TR's - yo, Sunburst.  I followed the Chugach Aval Cntr's reports through this last cycle you described, reminded me of many weeks at Alyeska & elsewhere in the Chugach's.  Keep up the trip reports, good to hear from an Alaskan brother.
Thanks - Gerry H

Good to see reports from my old stompin grounds.  Just remember that marginal conditions in Alaska are still epic, I miss those Chugach mountains!!

Glad to seem some AK vets out there.  March is so far bringing the major stoke.  Blizzard Friday dropped 34" up high and knee deep in my driveway (Girdwood).  Another blizzard today expecting to drop 2'+.  Reports out of Valdez are the deepest conditions in years.  Stoke is on!

Reply to this TR

feb-27-2010-turnagain-pass-sunburst
jdoneill
2010-03-01 22:00:04