Home > Trip Reports > Feb 28, 2010, Swan Range, MT

Feb 28, 2010, Swan Range, MT

2/28/10
Posted by chmnyboy on 3/1/10 1:51pm
After a nice day of bluebird windpacked at Mission Ridge, skier8484 and I met up with my old friends Mark and Cindy in Missoula. Mark was able to round up enough snow machines on short notice to get us 9 miles in to his stash in the Swans. After all the sun that had been hitting MT, Brian and I were banking on a south facing corn descent, but Mark convinced us that the cold temperatures kept the 3200€™ N facing run good from last week€™s snow.

After the skin to the 8300€™ summit we enjoyed the bright sun, windless day, views of the Bob, Swans, and Missions, and delicious sandwiches (which, unfortunately, were not supplemented by delicious cookies).

Dropping in proved Mark€™s point that the cold and shade had saved the powder, with light boottop deep snow through the 37 degree treed run. It was really good. We were all giddy with the run, with the typical nonsensical yelps of joy streaming from our mouths, especially Brian and I who were beginning to accept the el nino mank as the season€™s norm.

In talking with Mark, MT has been having the same low snow issues as the PNW. This last storm brought very little wind, so there were no windslab problems, although the snowpack apparently has some serious rotten layers down deep. There hasn't been enough loading to make these react, but with more storms they could be something for the Montana folks to think about.
Oh you have me dreamin of home.  I grew up on Swan Lake, but moved away before I started tourin..  Always wanted to go explore those mountains while full of snow! We did manage to tour Jewel Basin this year though..  Definetly check that out if you go back!

Where did you access Swan Range from??

Nice report and pics. 

I love those deep blue skies that you can have in the northern rockies.  Great day.

Looks like the road trip is going well, nice warm up for Jackson Hole. Keep the reports coming.

My mom lives at Swan Lake.  I have been eye ballin some sweet lines (in the summer) to ski there.  I would love to have more beta on your tour if you don't mind.

Reply to this TR

feb-28-2010-swan-range-mt
chmnyboy
2010-03-01 21:51:12