Home > Trip Reports > February 28, 2010, Paradise- holy grail search

February 28, 2010, Paradise- holy grail search

2/28/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 3/1/10 11:55am
Based on the less than favorable snow (thick, wet, sometimes crusty), ronj, maddog, snowseeker, skimac and I went searching for the mythical gap in the trees that links Mazama Ridge to the Stevens Canyon Rd. in one blissful, uninterupted line of freshies. We failed - again!

Oh Mazama Grail you are truly elusive; so elusive that my faith is rattled and I wonder if you even exist?!? We are not worthy.

I see an episode of Leonard Nimoy's "In Search Of..." developing here.

Anyway, the sun was out, Ron told some jokes (kids plug your ears), and we met some interesting human fauna in the Paradise zoo. A perfect way to spend a Sunday.

Best tracks of the day:

More pics here

Pics look like a lot of GPSing around. Well not all prospecters hit paydirt every day. The best tours take compliations of many tours. Looks like maybe Ron was on" point"  in that pic of him climbing back up ?  The VOGT rosetta map shows some routes down around" Faraway ridge and Faraway rock. Could be that just not enough snow this year for the route to be more apparent??? .Not critical just jealous and would do point on the next try.

Did you see any signs of the instability NWAC has been talking about? Especially on north facing slopes in trees where there was lots of surface hoar over the past few weeks.

Reply to this TR

february-28-2010-paradise-holy-grail-search
JibberD
2010-03-01 19:55:16