Home > Trip Reports > March 1, East Peak and Environs

March 1, East Peak and Environs

3/15/10
Posted by jasonsalvo on 3/1/10 10:25am
Nearly 31 years to the minute after my birth, 1030 am, we set off from the C-Lot up East Peak. High temps, sunny skies yesterday, high overcast today, my expectations were low. But... there was still snow clinging to the North-facing tress, so maybe it won't be that bad.

No indeed. We did 3 laps, one off Peak 64??-whatever, one down Cement Basin, and one down the North-ish-facing shoulder of East Peak and the snow was surprisingly good.

Peak 64?? was pretty skied out, but held the best snow. I'd call it heavy powder. It had consolidated, but had definitely not thawed. Cement Basin was smoother, the snow more windpacked, yet still carvable and super fun. Last, East Peak itself, was definitely the most sun- and heat-affected. We tried to hide in the relative shade of the cornice that runs with the fall line, and the turns were fast. As we descended, the snow got deeper and wetter, but without a crust. Long before we reached the mountain bike trail, it had turned into 12" of saturated, sloppy fun. Big skis helped here.

Snow was falling off trees left and right, and pinwheels were everywhere. But we didn't see any movement on any of the aspects we skied down. I would have expected more sloughing and point-release wet slides, especially down lower, but we didn't set anything off of note.

Happy Birthday to me.
Happy Birthday!  Were the skis attached at birth?

They were. My mom hasn't been the same since.

Reply to this TR

march-1-east-peak-and-environs
jasonsalvo
2010-03-01 18:25:57