Home > Trip Reports > February 28, 2010, Granite Mountain

February 28, 2010, Granite Mountain

2/28/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by RHardwick on 3/1/10 4:27am
11am departure from the trailhead was sure to get us up after the corn had turned to mush, but the deal was my fourteen year old, Gareth, had to finish his homework before skiing...

Snowlevel is just above where the hiking trail cuts across the avalanche gully for its long E traverse.  Even at 1pm, the mush was firm enough to be bootable up the gully and onto the ridge.

The avalanche gully was probably stable enough to ski down but chose the traditional skiers' right of the ridge to play it safe.  Snow conditions weren't epic in either case.  The 3 or 4" of freshish at the lookout was potatoes, anointed more with starch than butter.  Not optimal for Swix CH7, lazy me.  By 4500ft or so the snowballs were rolling thick, though still very turnable.  Managed to thread thin trees with increasing moats to 3800ft.  I'm usually able to ski this aspect another 500ft lower - in mid-April :(  Just how far ahead of the normal melt-out will this Spring be?

Still, had great views and a good opportunity for my son to learn how to hike in AT boots.

Reply to this TR

february-28-2010-granite-mountain
RHardwick
2010-03-01 12:27:03