Home > Trip Reports > Feb 28, 2010, Hurricane Ridge, ONP

Feb 28, 2010, Hurricane Ridge, ONP

2/28/10
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 2/28/10 1:37pm
The good news,
    The road is open
    The sun is shining
    There was a few inches of new snow the last few days.
The not so good news,
    Enough sun and heat on the new snow to turn it into a variety of surfaces. Some supportive, some not.   :(

No complaints though, it was incredibly good to again have access to Hurricane Ridge. The road opened Friday, a week ahead of the original schedule. We elected to head out Sunrise Ridge to the North Bowl, a NW facing gladed aspect. Here we found 6" of well consolidated new snow on top of a 2"crust. This skied reasonably well.

After climbing out of the bowl, we headed further out the ridge to the north facing "Bowling Alley". Here we found a few hundred VF of decent skiing. When this run dog-legged around to the southeast conditions immediately changed to breakable crust  :'(. It was survival skiing from here down to the road.

Here are some pictures from our day and a link to a few more: http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100228HurricaneRidgeNorthBowlBowlingAlley#

Thanks for the TR & pics. I've been waiting for the road to open, too. At least you found better snow than the last time I went out. I'll be headed your way late this coming week. Are you available for next Friday?

Thanks for the report Gary and Jan, so glad that the road is reopened.  I'm hoping to get up there next weekend if you guys want to show a knuckledragger around ; )

Reply to this TR

feb-28-2010-hurricane-ridge-onp
Gary_H
2010-02-28 21:37:09