Home > Trip Reports > Paradise, Rainier, 2/27

Paradise, Rainier, 2/27

2/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cchapin on 2/27/10 2:41pm
Great day on the outskirts of Paradise today.

Left Paradise about 10am.  About 6-8inches of fresh and heavy snow on top of a 1 inch crust.  Skinned to Bunyan's run and went down to the road.  I had some of the best turns of the season here.  Really great to ski down the fresh, untracked snow.

From there, then up to Mazama Ridge to hit the bowl.

WA Alpine club was here digging pits and training.  They dug on north and easterly aspect slopes and we heard conditions were pretty stable.  However, 1 skier triggered a significant sluff, on a southeastly aspect slope in Mazama Bowl (pictures in link).

Did 2 laps here around 1pm.  Snow was similiar to what we found on Bunyan's.  We got some snow showers while here with big changes in lighting as new weather was moving in.

Left Paraside around 4pm and it was lightly drizzling there ;(

Thanks a lot Bonnie for showing us new guys some playgrounds ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/radka.enriquez/ParadiseMazamaRidgeMountRainierNPFeb272010#

Great pics of the slide!  Is Bunyan's Run the same as "Bundy's Blunder"  ;) or has somebody named yet another run in the Paradise frontcountry?

author=acarey link=topic=15788.msg65909#msg65909 date=1267368943]
Great pics of the slide!  Is Bunyan's Run the same as "Bundy's Blunder"  ;) or has somebody named yet another run in the Paradise frontcountry?

Maybe if someone publishes the definitive map, we can properly sort this all out ;-)

Yes our first run was down Bundy's Blunder

author=Jim Oker link=topic=15788.msg65912#msg65912 date=1267379610]
Maybe if someone publishes the definitive map, we can properly sort this all out ;-)
Oops!  That's right, the run is called Bundy's.  I was pretty tired last night when I wrote up the report ;)

I would upload the map from my GPS but I'm getting an error "Cannot access attachments upload path!" which sounds like a server side issue.

maybe if they weren't bashing slalom gates they wouldn't have triggered as large of a sluff...  ;)

Great trip report and pics, Chris. Very fun day. I was back down there today and the top two inches had turned into a nasty crust, although bluebird and warm. Can't complain. We scored yesterday. Thanks again for the pics.

You guys scored getting Bonnie as your trip leader.
She's level headed, experienced ad knows the area well.

Learned from the pro!

Reply to this TR

paradise-rainier-2-27
cchapin
2010-02-27 22:41:58