Home > Trip Reports > Feb 25-25, 2010, Sasse Ridge

Feb 25-25, 2010, Sasse Ridge

2/25/10
Posted by Larry_R on 2/26/10 11:41pm
Just a quick report on what is a rather prosaic trip in comparison to all the amazing ones that are now being posted. Jane and I were up at Sasse Ridge, and once again we lucked out on the weather. The pole depth on the frontside was up to 14 inches or more.
I€™ll add a pic soon.

In reading John Morrow's trip report from the day before, same place, and comparing it to what we found, I thought I might mention that this year with the warmer than normal temperatures, Jane and I have been unable to predict what sort of conditions we would find skiing the next day while camped right below where we ski. We know what the snow pack model says, we know what the snow is like where we are, and we can make a fair guess of what it's like higher up, as late as 8 or 9 pm, but so much can happen even in just a few hours. Maybe the sun came out for just an hour during the day, and maybe it clears off for just a few hours at night; the result can be a nasty crust €¦ or not depending.

There are a few things I might say however. The valley floor has melted out even more.  Jane and I figured that we can ski up through the forest from the valley floor perhaps one more trip. The snow between the trees is becoming a knife edge in spots already.  And unless you are willing to rock out your skis, it€™s  probably not wise to ski off the road below 2800 feet. The road still has reasonable coverage to the parking lot, about normal if this were the first of April. :-)

Reply to this TR

feb-25-25-2010-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2010-02-27 07:41:15