Home > Trip Reports > May 23, 2004, Coleman-Deming

May 23, 2004, Coleman-Deming

5/23/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by fleblebleb on 5/23/04 8:30am
Paul and I had a good 15 hour day today, couch-to-couch. The Coleman-Deming made for great skinning between 6 am and noon. The Roman Wall was a bit chunky but mostly good skiing in the early afternoon, and there was a fresh dusting on top of a firm base going from the saddle past the camp sites. There wasn't any major dumping on Baker this weekend though... The gully approach is OK after a bit of walking through the forest but was super gloppy skiing at the end of the day.  - Stefan

Lenticular at 10000':

More photos:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/stebbi/coleman-deming/
Thanks to Stebbi for a great day. ;D

The gullies are melting fast. Having been there twice in the past week has make this fact painfully obvious to me. But we had some great skiing from the summit to about 7000. And the glop is best handled by staying in the steeper gullies, where the skiing can still be quite fun. The low angled glop is just miserable. You can park essentially at the trailhead now (100 yard walk), and can still ski down to the end of the gully with a few short carries.

Apologies to jimjar for another successful baker trip that he missed out on.

Well that will teach me to not join you. Adams???

Well that will teach me to not join you. Adams???

What about Adams? ;D

Now you've done it, Jim. We'll have to tie Stebbi down until next weekend.  ;D

I think Jim is saying he wants to do five summit of Adams in five days.  Right Jim? ;D

I'd be up for Adams this Wednesday afternoon/Thursday. Have to work Thu evening though. The forecast might work out OK, possibly maybe... How about it?

How about sat or sun or mon?

5 summits in 5 days. Sounds like fun. Who's in? All I really know at this time is I have Thursday-Monday off. I was thinking of heading towards Adams some time Thursday. Maybe even throw a little Mt. Hood into the mix.

Adams midweek, Rainier on the weekend...

That could work.

Click ---> ;D<--- for a TR.

Your killing me. I should have been there >:(

Click ---> ;D<--- for a TR.

ha ha...

Looks like the real Mt. Baker Ski Area is getting lots of love this year...

Your killing me. I should have been there >:(

Hey, I've only done the C-D three times now, I can certainly do a fourth!
;D

Reply to this TR

may-23-2004-coleman-deming
fleblebleb
2004-05-23 15:30:48