Home > Trip Reports > Camp Muir 2-20/21

Camp Muir 2-20/21

2/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by splitgirl on 2/22/10 2:05pm
Beautiful weekend on Rainier with an overnight at camp Muir in sight, but with a run in with an old friend in the parking lot set out our endeavors a little later than had planned. Winds pick up with a vengeance near Panarama point and never did let off and the sun was setting before we even reached Anvil rock which brought us to the point, do we turn back or head on up to Muir. With neither myself or Andy wanting to be the party pooper we drudge forward thru high winds and almost no visibility. With our remaining water source rolling down the mountain we found our spirits dashed as I found the "camp" I had my sights on was nothing more than a large rock on the side of the cliff. Non the less, we did make it to Camp Muir and blew our way in to about 25 pairs of eyes staring back at us in complete darkness. I don't know what the capacity of the place is but I am sure we exceeded it, (thanks everyone for making room). There were three brave souls who woke at 1am to trudge on to the summit and I commend their courage and or their complete stupidity as the winds had not died down a bit but they were determined. The rest of us were in no hurry in the morning to rush out in the heavy wind and get blown back down to Paradise but needless to say the views were incredible and if you managed to hug the rocks the snow was not too...wind packed.
Few more pics, three just isn't enough. Against better judgement about bringing his board, Andy wanted to try out his new homemade mini XC ski project they worked better in the soft wet of the Olympics......not so much on the hard packed wind blown crust on Rainier. His intentions were well thought out, short packable ski, with scalloped bases and side cut designed to work with a snowboard boot and a quick release crampon and in the right conditions ski down and turn quickly rollerblade style (we all love those fruitbooters), initial testing went well but didn't pass the Rainier test (back to the drawing board)...with admitted defeat he is now coming to the split side. You can see him hiking back down, tail between his legs and short skiis on his  back as I sang Wee Wee Wee all the way home, Sorry Andy.

Reply to this TR

camp-muir-2-20-21
splitgirl
2010-02-22 22:05:34