Home > Forum > Corral Pass, Hwy 410

Corral Pass, Hwy 410

• Don_B
  • [Don_B]
More
17 May 2004 16:02 #169378 by Don_B
Corral Pass, Hwy 410 was created by Don_B
I see this tour near Suntop in my fairly old XC guide to S Cascades. Elevation looks good for May. Anybody know if there is still access (parking) or snow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2004 16:49 #169379 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Corral Pass, Hwy 410
Michael Fagin reports that Coral Pass is still closed:<br>www.wowweather.com/forecasts/index.htm

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
17 May 2004 17:02 #169380 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Corral Pass, Hwy 410
I have been interested in that terrain around Corral Pass too, but every time I have looked into access, it seems that the gate "above the summer homes" is kept closed so long that there is little hope of driving up there for skiing. The gate is at pretty low elevation (a few hundred feet above 410?), so it would be a long walk or ride to Corral Pass, and on logging road tightly hemmed in by regenerating forest. If you are looking for a great tour in that general area, check out Grand Park. FS73 should be melted out to about 1 mile of MRNP boundary, then it is all virgin forest and glades.

• Don_B
  • [Don_B]
More
19 May 2004 01:27 #169383 by Don_B
Replied by Don_B on topic Re: Corral Pass, Hwy 410
Thanks for the help, Ron & Charles.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 May 2004 13:16 #169392 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Corral Pass, Hwy 410
Charles is right- In normal years they keep that road closed up to the week before the 4th of July. The Forest Service explanation is that the road is deteriorating, so they want to make sure it is fairly dry before it gets traveled by vehicles.<br>I know that ski tourers access the skiing in mid winter and enjoy the ski, although it is a very long approach 5-6 miles depending on your choice of destination. Also, sno-mows are regular on that road so it may not be so peaceful. <br>In fact the original plan to build Crystal Mountain ski area was Corral Pass. I think the steep road was one of the detering factors not to place it there. Me thinks the choice they made was a wise one!<br>Another option for a ski is the Chinook Pass area. Have fun out and about.

More
21 May 2004 16:07 #169395 by ron j
Joe, you certainly seem to be a bottomless pit of historical ski info on the area... especially the area east of Rainier.<br>You wouldn't, per chance, know exactly where they used to set up the tows for the old Cayuse pass ski area(s?) would you. I've read a lot about it (them) on Lowell's history pages, and I've hiked all over the area looking for some sign of it. My best guess is at the first big turnout south of the Cayuse 123/410 intersection, but I haven't found any conclusive evidence... only some rusty old cable pieces, which could also easily be old logging detritus. And if that's where it was, the turnout must have been the parking with the lift set up across the road (going uphill?)? I also recall one entry that said there was even a lift set up at Chinook once. I haven't a clue where that might have been.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 May 2004 00:59 #169402 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Corral Pass, Hwy 410
Well Ron, I guess every pit has a bottom. Sorry for the delay in reply. Those 12 hour work days are rough on my free time. As for the history-I relay the info that I pick up from the old timers-I would trade all my historical insight for more "personal discovery zones!" But I think those are better earned. I know about the rope tow operations, but have not inquired to the where abouts of them. I will have to ask my Dad since he traveled to ski at Chinook Pass. I'll let you know when I find out.<br>Joe

More
29 May 2004 06:58 #169408 by ron j
Thanks, Joe.