Home > Trip Reports > February 21, 2010, Mt. Baker, Boulder Ridge

February 21, 2010, Mt. Baker, Boulder Ridge

2/21/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by sprice on 2/22/10 5:55am
Given conditions, we did another May trip in winter. I had never done this approach to Baker. I will do it again, just not in these conditions...

We were able to drive up FS Rd 1131 to the last switch back. Hiked 1 +/- on the road. The trail up to the first big open meadow (at 4,000) was really tough. Blow downs. Lots of intermittent snow and ice. Lots of post holing. Huge tree wells and melted out streams making skis not useful. Even creeks at 4,200' were melted out.

We couldn't climb up to the ridge on climbers right of boulder creek. It was very soft snow over melted out rock. So we skied up to the glacier on climbers left of the creek. It was beautiful. The snow was pretty bad. Crust, glop, and the most amazing runnel patterns. Made it back to the car just as darkness fell.

Greg was the only one who wasn't tired, as he'd been chugging mountain dew and eating lollipops all day.
I love the first photo!  Would not have thought your trip approachable this time of year, then again it as been the year of easier access to what normally would be spring tours. 

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip.  By the way, did you get to the top of the cleaver?  I wonder how the crevasse coverage was ~9k on the normally large one?

I don't know about crevasses higher up. We were slow from the approach and only made it to 6,200'

Great photos.

Cool photos indeed.  I'm not sure I've ever seen runnels quite like that.

But between your photos and your commentary, I'm kind of glad that I ignored the casting call and instead headed up for an admittedly more mundane, common, and crowded trip up to Muir.

Reply to this TR

february-21-2010-mt-baker-boulder-ridge
sprice
2010-02-22 13:55:17