Home > Trip Reports > Worm Flows, St Helens, 2/21

Worm Flows, St Helens, 2/21

2/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cchapin on 2/21/10 12:22pm
My girl and I decided on Friday to give St Helens a go today.

We drove down to Cougar, self registered for climbing permits, and car camped in the lot at Marble Mountain Sno Park on Saturday night.

Started on Swift Creek trail this morning at 5:00am.  First mile is mostly dirt.  Second mile is snow covered after 3 long snow patches, each separated by several yards of dirt.  From here, we followed a boot packed trail all the way to summit.  We decided to use crampons and put them on just before leaving timberline.  We found them useful but there were a few people who made it without.  Once we got to timberline and onto the ridge the wind really picked up (~4200).  During the ascent, it progressively got worse.  I was never blown off my feet, but the wind did knock me over a few times.

We made the rim ~11:15am.  We went a little West but didn't venture all the way over to the true summit.  Very windy on the top.  We left the rim  ~11:50am.

The ski down was really fun.  First 2000 feet were very scratchy since there was dust on a 1-2" crust.  After the first 2000, the wind really calmed down.  The next 1000 feet the snow started to soften up.  The next 1500 or so was really nice, soft, slightly slushy, young corn.

During the descent, we estimate we saw 50-100 people still going up, some climbers, but many sledders.  I think they probably had a better ascent and descent then us.  Much less wind, warmer temperatures, and probably softer snow up high.  If I went tomorrow I would probably start ~7-8am and try to ski down ~1-2pm.

http://picasaweb.google.com/radka.enriquez/MountSaintHelens21910#5440900186000238290
I went up on Saturday and found very similar conditions.  The wind really picked up above treeline and steadily grew stronger until I hunkered down behind the rime on the crater rim.

Supprising how many people were up there.  Maybe 50-60 people strung out on the ascent when I came down (noonish). 

I agree that the top 1500' was very hard/icy, but after that, I found creamy corn down to below treeline.  With the wind blowing as hard as it was on Saturday, I couldn't imagine it getting much softer up high... although patience is not a virtue of mine.

Reply to this TR

worm-flows-st-helens-2-21
cchapin
2010-02-21 20:22:05