Home > Trip Reports > May 16, 2004, MRNP

May 16, 2004, MRNP

5/16/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Monika on 5/16/04 11:03pm
Due to unenticing misty weather, a plan B evolved at the parking lot.  Our smaller group found the Sunday South Regulars to evolve into in a motley group of MadDog, RJ aka "Papa Jarvis", the Glacier Angels, several others and myself.  Skinned up the west edge Muir snowfield through some curiously hot radiant solar energy through the mist, fog and later light snow.  The mist was not enough to want more than a silk weight shirt and gave appreciated relief.  

At about 8200' skied the main Nisqually Chute for an 1800' run. The top 2" of new wet snow from Sat afternoon had already rolled as cookies from most of the chutes but the underlying base was fairly consolidated so you didn't break through and provided fairly consistent turns albeit wet.  Lunch below in the Nisqually continued the group dynamics of more laughter and humor in that misty weather than I'd ever imagined. ;D
Nice report, Monika.

Here's a shot of Kelvin showing us how it's done:

Several others took pics on the trip and may very well have taken shots that are more deserving of holding the coveted "thread picture" position.  

If that's the case, post a better one here and I'll delete this one  ;)

More shots of the trip are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/pictures

What a great bunch of sliders, not to mention the classic comedy! ;D ;D  Kinda crappy light, but what I could salvage is at

Very nice trip indeed. And I've got the best picture of RJ ;D

(Another trip report with a few pics can be found on the TGR forum).

drC

Even though the Sunday weather was somewhat a visual challenge, we were able to turn our bushel of lemons into some pretty good lemonade  ;D thanks to good navigating, a few "sucker" holes and lots of talented skiers.  ;D  

I hope you can recognize yourselves in the movie and pictures (the lighting was terrible):

Kam: Great work on the photos and movie! Thanks man. 8)

Nice pictures and video, thanks for sharing   :D

Nice pics everyone and great vidy Kam. It was a pleasure to make turns with you all. Some pics I took are here.
http://community.webshots.com/album/144252847GCuvvo

It's a kick to go on a trip where so many are kicking out photos of the trip.  It really adds to the fun... thanks to all you shutterbugs.  
That said, really, Kam's the man.
Great work, Kamster.  You really have a knack for taking a fantastic, fun day and turning it into a permanent, everlasting, warm fuzzy memory.
Thanks, mate.

Reply to this TR

may-16-2004-mrnp
Monika
2004-05-17 06:03:29